Health Professions Advising



Health Professions Advising

» Nuclear Medicine Technology

Nuclear Medicine Technology

Nuclear medicine is an exciting field that involves the diagnosis, treatment, and study of human disease through the use of radioactive pharmaceuticals. Elmhurst College has affiliations with Northwestern Memorial Hospital or the College of DuPage, where students can apply to spend three years completing coursework at Elmhurst College and their final phase of courses and clinical experience in a hospital setting.

What does a nuclear medicine technologist do?
Will I need a graduate degree?
What should I major in?
What are the academic requirements?
What about advising?
How do I get certified?
Where can I find additional information?

What does a nuclear medicine technologist do?
Nuclear medicine technologists work with physicians and patients to create high-quality diagnostic images. Here are just some of the things you’ll do as an NMT:

  • Prepare and administer radiopharmaceuticals (radioactive chemical compounds)
  • Perform patient imaging procedures using sophisticated radiation-detecting instrumentation
  • Perform computer processing and image enhancement functions
  • Provide image, data analysis and patient information to the physician for diagnostic interpretation
  • Prepare patients for radioactive tracers and radioactive therapy
  • Apply knowledge of radiation physics and safety regulations
  • Use quality control techniques as part of the quality assurance program

What should I major in?
Students applying for the affiliations must major in health science technology. Students applying after graduation can major in anything they like as long as they complete the prerequisite courses for the program.

What are the academic requirements?
If accepted, students will complete three years of college courses on site at Elmhurst College, and then spend the final phase of clinical/academic educationon site at Northwestern Memorial Hospital (12 months) or through hospitals connected with the College of DuPage program (15 months). Upon successful completion of the program, students will receive a certificate of program completion as a nuclear medical technologist and be eligible to take required certifying examinations in addition to earning a bachelor's degree. Students accepted into either program pay Elmhurst tuition and fees for courses at Elmhurst and Northwestern Memorial Hospital or College of DuPage. Additional fees may be required by the hospital as well. Northwestern Memorial Hospital is located at 541 N. Fairbanks Court, Suite 950 in Chicago, IL 60611. For the College of DuPage program students may incur additional fees or costs by that school; including if they are out of district. The College of DuPage is located at 425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn, IL 60137.

Below are the prerequisite courses for these affiliations.

Required courses
BIO 200, 201, 207, 208, 300
CHM 211, 212, 311, 312
PHY 111, 112
MTH 132, 345
HST 400, 498
CS 111
ENG 105, 106
FYS 100
Other Elmhurst College Integrated Curriculum Requirements

Additional courses in the humanities, social sciences, and oral and written communication are required. The COD program specifically requires MTH 121 College Algebra; taking an advanced math course will not replace the MTH 121 requirement. The COD program also requires two years of direct patient contact or completion of a clinical health science course. Advisors can provide a list of possible course options and recommendations as well as additional information on GPA and prerequisite grade requirements for both programs.

What about advising?
You will meet with the health professions advisor to discuss your specific academic and professional interests. Your advisor will work with you throughout your Elmhurst career, clearing obstacles and giving expert guidance. Want to know more? See Advisors.

How do I get certified?
When you successfully complete your academic and clinical program, you’ll be eligible to take required certifying examinations administered by the Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification Board, the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists, and the Board of Registry of the American Society of Clinical Pathologists.

Where can I find additional information?
You can start by checking the website of Northwestern’s School of Nuclear Medicine Technology or the College of DuPage's site. In addition to information about the Elmhurst College affiliations, you will find links to additional resources. For more help, contact Elmhurst’s health professions advising team.

Any student interested in applying is responsible for learning about all the requirements for the program. Admission to Elmhurst College does not guarantee acceptance into a program affiliation.

Share |

Follow Us: Flickr YouTube Instagram

Elmhurst College • 190 Prospect Avenue • Elmhurst, Illinois 60126-3296 • (630) 279-4100


Undergraduate Admission • (630) 617-3400 • (800) 697-1871 •


School for Professional Studies • (630) 617-3300 • (800) 581-4723 •


Elmhurst Learning and Success Academy Admission • (630) 617-3752 •


Technical SupportPrivacy Policy