Financial Aid



Financial Aid

» Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for financial aid at Elmhurst College?
All students applying for federal, state and institutional need-based aid must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). This can be done after October 1 for the following academic year. Students  complete the FAFSA online. Students must apply every year for financial aid. Elmhurst College’s Federal School Code is 001676.

Can I get an early estimate of financial aid from Elmhurst College?
Yes, since you can't fill out the FAFSA until after October 1 of your senior year in high school, Elmhurst College offers the Net Price Calculator for an estimate of your financial aid prior to completing the FAFSA.  Remember that this is an estimate, and the official award notice will be based on the information submitted on the FAFSA.

Will I qualify for financial aid?
The only way we can assess whether you qualify for financial aid is if you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Once we have received your FAFSA results from the federal processor, we can then determine if you are eligible. We will send you a Financial Aid Award Notice stating the maximum amounts of aid you will be eligible to receive. Don’t take someone else's word that you won’t qualify. Every family's financial situation is different. We can guarantee you one thing—if you don’t apply, you will definitely not receive financial aid.

If my parents are divorced or separated, whose information should be used on the FAFSA?
In the event of a divorce or separation, you should answer the FAFSA questions based on the parent you lived with the most during the last 12 months. If you did not live with one parent more than the other, you should answer the FAFSA questions based on the parent who provided the most financial support during the last 12 months. If the parent you lived with more is remarried, you must provide information on the FAFSA about that parent and the person who your parent married.

When will I receive an award notice?
After we have received the results of the FAFSA and the student is admitted to Elmhurst College, we begin sending out award notices to new students after January 1 and to returning students starting February1. Returning students will receive their award notice online on BlueNet. Students may accept or reject their awards by going to the BlueNet link "Accept/Reject Financial Aid awards"

I received a financial aid award notice. What do I do next?
Read over the award notice as well as all the enclosed information.  Awards may be accepted or rejected online at BlueNet using your sign on and password. Please see the following questions and answers about other types of financial aid on your award notice.

How are Elmhurst College and other funds applied?
Elmhurst College Grants and Scholarships are applied electronically to the student's account. All funds, including other grants and loans, allocated for a particular term are applied to the student's account no more than ten days before the beginning of that term.

College Grants may change if a student receives financial aid exceeding $4000 from an outside source. It is the student's responsibility to check with the Office of Student Financial Services to determine the impact of the outside award on other aid sources.

How do I contact the Office of Student Financial Services at Elmhurst College?
You can send an email message to You can also call the office at (630) 617-3015 during business hours. The Office of Financial Aid is located in Goebel Hall.  Our office hours are Monday–Friday 8:00 a.m. -4:00 p.m.  The office fax number is (630) 617-3487.

Is there a list of helpful websites for financial aid?
Yes, there is a page on the Elmhurst College website that features helpful websites. It contains links to federal, state and organizational websites that can provide much helpful information on the financial aid process.

I was awarded a subsidized and/or unsubsidized loan. What are my next steps? 
If you accepted subsidized or unsubsidized loans and are a new borrower your award packet will include directions to complete a Master Promissory Note and entrance counseling online at  Once these steps are completed, your subsidized and unsubsidized loans will be credited to your student account in a few days. Master Promissory Notes are good for ten years. 

My award notice includes Federal Work-Study. What does that mean?
If you were awarded Federal Work-Study, you must work at a job on campus to earn your award. Federal Work-Study funds are paid to students by direct deposit to a bank account, student account or to a Visa PayCard every two weeks for hours worked. The Federal Work-Study award is not subtracted from the student account balance due .

How do I find a job on campus? 
Search student job opportunities online. Contact the supervisor of the job you are interested in to set up an interview. Fall job openings are posted after July 1.

Do I have to be awarded Federal Work Study to work on campus?
No, a Federal Work-Study award is not required for some on campus positions. Job listings on the web site will indicate if Federal Work-Study is required. Approximately 40% of on campus student jobs are held by non Federal Work-Study students.

I received a notice stating I was selected for verification. What does that mean? The federal government selects about 35% of the FAFSA applications for verification. This means that the Office of Student Financial Services must collect documentation to verify the information you submitted on the FAFSA. If necessary, the Office of Student Financial Services makes corrections to the data. If you are selected for verification, the Office of Student Financial Services must receive all requested documents before the financial aid can be credited to the student’s account.

If income tax information is requested, the student and parent (if applicable) must provide the information: (for 2018-2019 FAFSA)

Utilize the IRS Data Retrieval  Tool within FAFSA (for 2018-2019 FAFSA only) 


Submit a 2016 IRS Tax Return Transcript 

For assistance, please review our step by step guide: Instructions for Providing Federal Income Tax Information  

Why did I get another award notice?
If you received an additional award notice, we have received additional information that affected the financial aid you are eligible to receive. Compare your award letters to understand the differences. The letter with the latest date is correct. Awards on Bluenet are updated as soon as any changes to the award are made.

Why can’t I have more loan money?
Per federal regulations, Stafford Loan (subsidized and unsubsidized) annual eligibility is based on the number of credits the student has earned in college:

  • Freshman (less than 8.00 credits): $5,500  
  • Sophomore (8.00 – 15.99 credits): $6,500   
  • Junior/Senior (16.00 credits and over): $7,500

Additional unsubsidized loans are available for independent undergraduate students. The additional unsubsidized amounts are as follows:

  • Freshman or sophomore: $4,000
  • Junior or senior: $5,000

If the student needs additional loans, the parents of a dependent student can borrow a PLUS loan or the student can borrow an alternative educational loan through a bank. See our web page about loans for more information.

Can my family pay tuition over time?
Students /parents have two options to pay tuition, fees, housing and meal plans (minus any scholarships, grants and loans which have been awarded and accepted).
Option A- payment is due in full by the initial due date for the term.
Option B- enroll in a monthly payment plan. 

Convenient payment plans are available for Fall and Spring terms. Enrollment in a plan allows parents/students to budget the cost of college and extend payments throughout a term.  For more information please see the Payment Options page on our website  or call the Office of Student Financial Services at (630) 617-3015.

How can I view my Elmhurst College billing statement?
Billing statements can be viewed on TouchNet Connect, which can be accessed though Bluenet. You can pay your bill by cash, check, auto debit from your bank account (ACH), debit card, or by credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express). Cash and check only are accepted in person at the Student Financial Services Office. For more information, call the Office of Student Financial Services at (630) 617-3015.

Do I have to get good grades to keep my financial aid?
Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress in order to continue to receive their aid. The Satisfactory Academic Progress policy is explained fully on our Terms and Conditions page.

If there's a change in my financial situation, how do I let Elmhurst know?
Complete a Special Circumstances form describing what happened and its impact on your finances.  You will be asked to submit additional documentation. Your current financial aid award will be reviewed and you will be contacted in writing with the results.

How do I transfer my aid to another school?
Financial aid does not transfer from one school to another. If you have left a school and are coming to Elmhurst, you will need to add our school code (001676) to your FAFSA and complete our application process to determine if you have eligibility remaining to be used here. If you are currently an Elmhurst student and transferring out, you will need to add your new school’s school code to your FAFSA and then comply with whatever application policy the new school may have. Each school has their own individual process regarding financial aid.

What will happen to my financial aid if I drop a class?
If you are being charged comprehensive fee and remain full time, no adjustment will be made. If you drop below full time during the drop/add period (first five weeks of class), your financial aid will be adjusted based on charges. If you drop to part time after the Office of Student Financial Services no longer adjusts charges, no changes will be made to your financial aid.

What will happen to my financial aid if I drop out of school with proper notification? 
If you officially withdraw from Elmhurst College completely during a term several issues are considered: 

  • Elmhurst College aid is adjusted at the same percentage rate as the tuition and fees withdrawal schedule used by the Office of Student Financial Services.
  • If you have completed 10 days of attendance, your state of Illinois aid will remain the same.
  • All Federal Title IV aid (Pell, FSEOG, Perkins, Subsidized, Unsubsidized, PLUS loans) will be adjusted based on the number of days you have been enrolled. This is determined by taking the number of days you attended as a percentage of the number of days in the term. For example, if the term is 100 days long and you withdrew or stopped attending on the 24th day of the term, 24/100 of your Title 4 aid could be applied to your tuition and fees. Once you have been enrolled for 60% of the term, no more adjustments are made. These calculations are based on a federal formula known as Return of Title 4.
  • Students enrolled in the cohort portion of an accelerated program who withdraw during the term may be subject to somewhat different withdrawal calculations per federal and institutional regulations.

What happens to my financial aid if I drop out of Elmhurst College without proper notification?
A student who has earned all grades of F for a term, but has not officially withdrawn from classes is considered to have unofficially withdrawn. If an instructor indicates in writing to the Office of Student Financial Services that the student has actually earned the F, the student will be considered to have completed the term, and all aid will be retained for the term. For students who have unofficially withdrawn, the midpoint of the term will be used as the withdrawal date and financial aid will be adjusted according to U.S. Department of Education regulations.

Will I have to start repayment of loans if I transfer to another school?
After withdrawing from college, you have a six-month grace period before beginning repayment on your Direct Loans. There is a nine-month grace period for Perkins loans. It is your responsibility to secure an in-school deferment application in order to reinstate your loans to an in-school status. For Direct Loan deferments contact your loan servicer for a deferment form. You can obtain your loan servicer contact information from or from written correspondence sent to you by the servicer. For Perkins Loan deferments, forms can be downloaded at University Accounting Service handles repayment of Perkins loans for Elmhurst College students.

If you have borrowed student loans, you are required to complete exit counseling for all types of loans. For Direct Loans, go to; for Perkins loans, go to







Follow Us: Flickr YouTube Instagram

Elmhurst College • 190 Prospect Avenue • Elmhurst, Illinois 60126-3296 • (630) 279-4100


Undergraduate Admission • (630) 617-3400 • (800) 697-1871 •


School for Professional Studies • (630) 617-3300 • (800) 581-4723 •


Elmhurst Learning and Success Academy Admission • (630) 617-3752 •


Technical SupportPrivacy Policy