ART 361 Art Methods and Experiences for
the Elementary and Middle School K-8
Information Literacy is knowing how to find, analyze, and use information; the ability to gather information from multiple sources, select relevant material, and organize it into a form that will allow the user to make decisions or take specific actions.
Oxford Art Online
Provides online access to the entire text of the renowned Grove Dictionary of Art, Oxford Companion to Western Art, Encyclopedia of Aesthetics, and Concise Oxford Dictionary of Art. Covers all aspects of the visual arts worldwide.
A collection of nearly 500,000 digital images of paintings, photos, architectural works, sculptures, and design pieces from around the world from all time periods. Images appear in a separate window; make sure that any pop-up blockers are disabled before accessing this database.
The "card catalog" of the A.C. Buehler Library. Use this resource to find books, journal titles, movies, and music owned by Elmhurst College, and information about items located in 76 academic and research libraries in Illinois.
Sample Library of Congress Subject Headings:
- Art Study and teaching--United States
- Artists -- Juvenile Literature
- Art appreciation -- Juvenile Literature
- Art Study and teaching (Secondary)
- Art Study and teaching (Elementary)
Select Works with Call Number Location
- Adventures in Art Series C 1 D261 1998 LEV 1 in the curriculum collection
- Getting to know the world's greatest artists series is in our curriculum collection under biography by artist's name. Botticelli is B BOTTICEL
- Assessment in Art Education 707.076 B369a
- Inner Vision : Aan Exploration of Art and the Brain 152.14 Z48i
- Teaching Talented Art Students : Principles and Practices / Gilbert Clark, Enid Zimmerman 372.5044 C592t
Subscription Databases for Art Research
Academic Search Complete
Academic Search Complete is the world's most valuable and comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 5,300 full-text periodicals, including 4,400 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 9,300 journals and a total of 9,810 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc.
A collection of databases dealing with different American ethnic groups. As of summer 2007, there are two groups represented: African Americans and Latino Americans. Future releases will concentrate on Native Americans and Asian Americans.
ERIC via EBSCO
ERIC®, the Educational Resource Information Center, provides access to education literature and resources. The database provides access to information from journals included in the Current Index of Journals in Education and Resources in Education Index.
Full text articles in science, humanities, education and business. Provides indexed and abstracted records with accompanying full-text periodical articles, many of which are linked to citations in other FirstSearch databases. Includes US and international professional publications, academic journals, and trade magazines.
Latino American Experience
The Latino American Experience marks the first-ever database dedicated to the history and culture of Latinos, the largest, fastest-growing minority group in the United States. Designed, developed, and indexed under the guidance of Latino librarians and library directors to meet the research and curriculum needs of students, teachers, librarians, and researchers, LAE offers unparalleled depth and content. Much needed; very timely; muy fresca.
Provides full text access to over 5,600 news, business, legal, medical and reference sources, including wire services, case law, broadcast transcripts and SEC filings.
Contains selected full text of articles from more than 30 U.S. national and international newspapers, over 200 regional papers, and television and radio news transcripts.
Web Sites for the Art Education:
Web Sites for the Study of Sculpture, Museums, Artists, and Architects:
- Illinois Sculpture Gardens and Parks
- Chicago Imagebase Search by Architect
- Artnut's Wonderful Listing of Outdoor Sculpture in Illinois
- Individual Sculptor's Pages
- The Mother of All Art History Links
- Art History Resources on the Web
- Eero Saarinen
- Art Institute of Chicago
- Navy Pier Sculpture Walk 2003
- Chicago Architecture Foundation
- Chicago Historical Society
- Elmhurst Art Museum
- Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio Foundation
- Illinois Art Gallery
- Intuit: The Center for Intuitive and Outsider Art
- Museum of Contemporary Art
- Nathan Manilow Sculpture Park at Governors State University
- National Vietnam Veterns Art Museum
- Terra Museum of American Art
- The University of Chicago Museums & Exhibits