Action Plan of the A.C. Buehler Library
Instruction and Services
Provide formal and informal instruction in information literacy skills to equip students with the tools for purposeful learning and professional excellence.
- Provide a basic level of information literacy instruction to all students through the Writing and Reasoning category of the General Education program.
- Provide an appropriate level of information literacy instruction in General Education courses, particularly those in which significant numbers of transfer students enroll.
- Collaborate with faculty to design and deliver a program of information literacy instruction that reaches students in each major.
- Collaborate with faculty to design and deliver a program of information literacy instruction for each graduate program.
- Build instructional connections with non-traditional students, off-campus programs, and adjunct faculty.
- Develop and maintain strong liaisons between the Library and every department for the dissemination of library information and for the provision of course-related instruction.
- Collaborate with faculty to integrate library and information technology resources into their teaching.
- Assess the learning outcomes of the information literacy instructional program.
Provide a variety of information services to enable library users to use information resources effectively.
- Maintain a user-centered, approachable, and proactive reference presence in the Library.
- Assist students with specialized research needs, such as honors students and graduate students.
- Utilize print and electronic tools to disseminate information about information resources, research skills, and library services.
- Collaborate with the Elmhurst Public Library in the provision of reference services.
- Ensure that all reference services are accessible to individuals with disabilities in compliance with ADA.
- Investigate virtual reference services and evaluate their useful to the Library's clientele.
Lead students, faculty, and staff to develop expertise in the use of information technology.
- Integrate instruction in the use of information technology into regular information literacy instruction for students.
- Expand the program of faculty training in the use of information technology with an emphasis on pedagogy.
- Offer an Information Literacy Across the Curriculum workshop for faculty annually.
- Support individual faculty in integrating technology and information resources into courses.
- Provide a library and information technology update to each academic department annually.
- Collaborate with Computer Services to provide excellent academic computing services.
- Implement the Student Technology Assistants program in cooperation with the Center for Professional Excellence.
- Provide key leadership and participation in campus wide technology planning.
Serve as a gateway to regional, national, and international information resources.
- Continue to refine the Library's web site to serve as the major interface to library resources.
- Provide access to a wide variety of appropriate electronic databases.
- Foster and maintain consortial relationships at the local, state, regional, and national level.
- Provide excellent interlibrary loan services as both a borrower and a lender.
Provide efficient on-site access to materials owned by the A.C. Buehler Library.
- Continue to implement the Voyager integrated library system.
- Monitor the activities of Illinet Online
- Position the AC Buehler Library as a center for books and reading at Elmhurst College.
- Create and disseminate lists of suggested readings in conjunction with library displays.
- Sponsor at least two reading encouragement programs each academic year.
- Participate in and support reading initiatives across the campus.
Develop and maintain a collection of information resources, which supports the educational programs of Elmhurst College.
- Collaborate with faculty in building the Library's collections.
- Participate in the statewide collection analysis project of the Illinois Cooperative Collection Management Program.
- Develop a written collection development policy.
- Develop an ongoing plan for maintaining a high quality, relevant reference collection.
Acquire, organize, and arrange materials in logical, usable ways.
Develop and apply effective, responsive management practices to provide leadership, planning, and organization necessary to carry out the Library's mission and action plan.
- Plan and develop strategies for enhancing the programs and resources of the Library.
- Solicit and secure the financial support necessary for continuation and expansion of the Library's operations.
- Create a technology replacement plan and budget.
- Communicate effectively with the Elmhurst College community.
- Provide representation to committees that are pertinent to the Library's mission.
Develop and maintain a quality staff, adequate in number, to provide the best library services to users.
- Meet the Association of College and Research Libraries standards for staffing or demonstrate that service requirements can be met with existing staff.
- Design and implement a program of staff development and training for the library staff.
- Support librarians and other library staff in continuing their own learning about technology.
- Support librarians in pursuing continuing education, professional involvement, and scholarship and creative work.
Maintain a physical facility that fosters study and research.
- Assess the redesign the first floor of the Library.
- Assess the integration of multimedia materials, workstations, and staff.
Recognize and promote human diversity in collections and library functions.
- Provide the Elmhurst College community with access to materials needed to create and nurture and environment, which encourages diversity.
- Provide displays of library materials that relate to human diversity.
- Ensure that all library services and facilities are accessible to all users.
Develop and maintain assessment measures to improve the Library's programs and services and to respond to the changing needs of the Elmhurst College community.
- Assess the Library Mission Statement and Action Plan annually.
- Track changes in the College's curriculum and revise services to match these changes.
- Measure the effectiveness of library services by using Association of College and Research Libraries, Higher Learning Commission, and other national association standards.
- Develop a plan to assess student learning outcomes of the information literacy instruction program.
- Survey overall user satisfaction using a variety of survey strategies.
Revised Fall 2003
Susan Swords Steffen