Residence Life



Residence Life

» Residence Life FAQs

Residence Life FAQs

Please select the link below for the appropriate information.

When do I have to submit my application?
Please see Applying for housing.

What if I apply after March 1?
Please see Dates and Deadlines. 

How do I request a particular person to be my roommate?  Please see Instructions for requesting a roommate.

I have an accessibility, medical or special need that Residence Life should know about in regard to my room assignment.  Have your doctor send a letter on office letterhead to Residence Life prior to June 1.  Our fax number is 630-617-3722.

When will I know my room assignment and who my roommate will be? 
Room assignments will be announced and made on a rolling basis starting on May 1.  They are posted on at MyHousing@Elmhurst College.  New incoming students may not preference a specific property or room.  The move-in schedule and information will be posted in early summer.

 How do I select the right dining plan for me?

What if I don't use all of the points included in my dining plan? Any unused portion of the dining plan will carry over from the Fall to the Spring Term.  If there is a balance at the end of the academic year, the balance is not refunded.

What if I need to add points to my dining plan?
If you would like to add additional points to your dining plan, this can be done by going online to TouchNet, or by going to the Office of Student Financial Services to pay with cash or with your student account credit balance. It is prudent not to add more points than will be needed for the balance does not roll over.

How do I access my dining plan points?
The selected dining plan is loaded on the multi-purpose I.D. card, Jaypass, that is issued to you. The dining plan is an "a la carte" declining balance system. You swipe your Jaypass as one would a debit card when purchasing a meal in any of the Chartwells' venues—the Frick Center Cafe, the E.C. Grill, the Library Cafe and the Coffee Shop.

Do I need to select a dining plan for each term I am living in a residence hall?
If a student would like to keep the dining plan they have for the Fall Term, no action needs to be taken as their current dining plan will be assigned for the Spring Term.  If the student wishes to change the dining plan, that may be done starting in mid-November.  Watch for an email with dates and directions.

Can I change my dining plan?

Are dining plans different for residence halls and apartments?
Yes, residence hall dining plans are per term while the apartment dining plan is for the full academic year. Students living in residence halls are required to have a dining plan each term they are in residence, however a dining plan is optional for apartment residents. Any dining plan points remaining on a residential plan at the end of the Fall Term will carry over to Spring Term, but the points must be used up by the end of the academic year. Residence hall students may change their dining plan for the Spring Term, and all residents may add points to their dining plan at any time by going online to TouchNet, or by going to the Office of Student Financial Services to pay with cash or with their student account credit balance. All residents can use their dining plan at the same venues on campus.

When do I move in?

What should I bring to Elmhurst College with me?

How can I insure my belongings while living at Elmhurst College?
Every student is encouraged to insure his/her personal property as the College does not assume responsibility for loss due to theft or damage to property caused by fire, water, vandalism or any other cause. In many cases, students still residing with family may be covered by the policy for the family residence. Please check with your insurance agent. Another source is National Student Services (NSS), a company that is independent from Elmhurst College. Elmhurst College makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the information contained on the NSS web site or regarding the nature or quality of the services provided by NSS.

How are the bathrooms arranged in the residence halls and apartments?
Cureton, Niebuhr, Schick, Stanger and the lower level of Dinkmeyer Hall have community bathrooms that are gender specific, one on each wing or floor. Each shower is enclosed with a curtain. Dinkmeyer Hall (except the lower level) has a suite-style arrangement, with two rooms sharing a connecting bathroom/shower. Prospect, and Elm Park Apartments have one bathroom per apartment. West Hall has 1 1/2 bathrooms per suite. The houses contain one or two bathrooms.

What kind of furniture is provided?
Elmhurst College provides each residence hall student with the following furniture:  

  • Bed (twin extra-long mattress) 84"L x 41"W x 29"H
  • Desk 36"W x 24"D x 29"H
  • Desk shelf w/light & tackboard 34"W x 12"D x 29"H
  • Chair 18.5"W x 20"D x 32"H Seat 17.5"H
  • Book shelf 34"W x 12"D x 29"H
  • Dresser 36"W x 24"D x 29"H
  • Blinds
  • Built-in closets or a wardrobe

West Hall has additional furniture in the living room. See the West Hall page. Apartment and house furniture information can be found on their specific links.

Can I rearrange the furniture in my room?
Yes! Our OEM Loft System furniture uses a pin-and-hole design that makes the furniture very easy to rearrange. You don't even need special tools—all you need are pins (available through your RA or RLC) to hold the furniture together when it is stacked. Although some of the pieces are extremely heavy, there are many different options for design. Check out some of the possible furniture arrangements or view videos on how to use your MFS furniture.  Please check your room assignment for the furniture provided. Furniture may not be removed from the room. Furniture in the apartments and houses varies from the furniture in the residence halls. 

What about cable and internet service?
Cable and internet service is provided in all residence halls, Prospect Apartments and Elm Park apartments.  Resident students in College Houses are stand-alone facilities and may identify an internet and cable service provider of their choice.  Residents in these communities are responsible for installation and billing arrangements with the service provider.  Students are expected to complete a Cable and Internet Service agreement as a part of the Roommate Agreement.  There is no resident technology fee assessed to students in these units.  Special rates are available for our students by contacting Beth Eggert of Comcast at (630) 689-7571 or Roxanne Monreal of AT&T at (630) 267-3484.  For residence halls, Elm Park and Prospect Apartments, these are the Cable channels.

Which residence halls have air conditioning?  Cureton, Stanger, and West Halls have air conditioning.  Cureton and West Halls are also elevator equipped.

Can I see my room before I move in?  All tours of the campus and residence halls are arranged through the Admissions Office.  It is not possible to see a specific hall or room as our facilities are in use throughout the summer.

Laundry.  There are laundry facilities in each residence hall and apartment building.  Either coin or Bluejay Bucks are used to pay for each use.  Please see the specific building for more information.

How do I request a room and/or roommate change?

Is there graduate student or family housing?  We do not provide housing for graduate students or families.  

What is an RA?
RAs (Resident Advisers) are students who live in the residence halls and apartments, acting as advisers. RAs plan social and educational activities for residents, help students with questions and concerns, and perform administrative tasks. An RA staffs every floor or wing of the residence halls or oversees an area in the apartments/houses.

What is an RLC?
The Residence Life Coordinator, or RLC, is a full-time professional (with a master's degree) who oversees the operation of the residence hall. The RLC provides educational opportunities and administrative support for the residents of the building.

I've changed my mind. I've decided that I don't want to live at Elmhurst College, but I've already paid the housing deposit. What can I do?
The housing deposit is non-refundable. To cancel your housing request, send an email notification to or a facsimile to (630) 617-3722 by August 21.  For cancellation requests after August 21 (Fall Term) or December 15 (January or Spring Term), you must formally request a release from the housing contract.  Completion and submission of the Release from Housing form to the Office of Residence Life does not guarantee release from your License Agreement. Notification of decisions will be made to your Elmhurst College email account within 7 to 10 business days.

How do I request a release from housing?
You may request a release from your Residence Living and Dining Plan License Agreement by submitting the Application for Release from License Agreement to the Office of Residence Life. Completion and submission of the Application for Release does not guarantee release from your License Agreement. Notification of the decision will be made to your Elmhurst College email account within 7 to 10 business days.

If you are withdrawing from the College and will no longer be a student here, there is a different form to use, Withdrawal from College and Housing.  This form should be completed after formal withdrawal from the College in the Advising Office, and submitted to the Office of Residence Life.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact the Office of Residence Life via email at or at (630) 617-3150.

Updated 5/22/17

Follow Us: Flickr YouTube Instagram

Elmhurst College • 190 Prospect Avenue • Elmhurst, Illinois 60126-3296 • (630) 279-4100


Undergraduate Admission • (630) 617-3400 • (800) 697-1871 •


School for Professional Studies • (630) 617-3300 • (800) 581-4723 •


Elmhurst Learning and Success Academy Admission • (630) 617-3752 •


Technical SupportPrivacy Policy