» Minor in Social Work

Minor in Social Work

A minor in social work is useful for students wanting more of the social work application of social science theories and for those intending to do graduate study in social work. Students may be majoring in a variety of fields, including business, education, nursing, psychology, religious studies, or sociology.

The required courses for the social work minor are the following:
SOC 211 Society and the Individual–Introductory Sociology
SOC 303 Introduction to Social Work

Additionally, students must take at least two of the following classes (all three are recommended):
SOC 308 Social Services for Children and Adolescents
SOC 404 Social Work with Individuals and Families
SOC 406 Social Work within Groups and Communities

A student may apply one course credit of independent study, SOC 492, or one course credit of independent field work in social work, SOC 490, toward the social work minor in lieu of either SOC 404 or SOC 406. SOC 490 Independent Field Work in Social Work is contingent upon the location of a suitable field site. At least two of the required courses must be taken at Elmhurst College.

A student who is pursuing both a major in sociology and a minor in social work may count only SOC 211 toward both the sociology major and the social work minor. The social work courses SOC 303, SOC 308, SOC 404, and SOC 406, or their equivalent cannot be applied simultaneously toward the sociology major and the social work minor.

Share |

Follow Us: Flickr YouTube Instagram

Elmhurst College • 190 Prospect Avenue • Elmhurst, Illinois 60126-3296 • (630) 279-4100


Undergraduate Admission • (630) 617-3400 • (800) 697-1871 •


School for Professional Studies • (630) 617-3300 • (800) 581-4723 •


Elmhurst Learning and Success Academy Admission • (630) 617-3752 •


Technical SupportPrivacy Policy