The M.S.Ed. in special education requires teachers to currently hold a teaching position and be licensed to teach in Illinois.
Teachers may complete an endorsement or approval while completing the M.Ed. in Teacher Leadership. To earn the Teacher Leader endorsement, teachers must have a master’s degree.
Transfer credit may be used for up to two elective course requirements. The maximum transfer credit of six semester hours is not automatic and accepted courses must receive written approval and have been completed prior to the graduate student beginning the program. All coursework must have been completed within the last 10 years and must have an equivalent course being offered at Elmhurst College. No transfer courses will be accepted once a graduate student has begun the program.
Applicants need to have at least a 2.75 cumulative GPA to be admitted to any licensure program.
To apply for admission to the program, please submit:
- A completed application. Apply online.
- Three letters of recommendation from educators/administrators who can attest to your leadership qualities, communication skills, personal motivation, and capacity to succeed in graduate study. These should be included as part of your online application.
- A 1,000-word statement of purpose describing your personal and professional goals and how graduate study at Elmhurst College will help you achieve those goals
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions you have attended (Elmhurst College alumni do not need to request a copy of their Elmhurst transcripts)
- A copy of your Illinois professional educator license
- A current résumé, including:
- Teaching certification and endorsements with expiration and renewal dates
- Your undergraduate degree and graduate courses you’ve completed
- A record of your teaching experience with years of teaching clearly indicated
- Your professional development activities
- Information on leadership roles you’ve held in your school or community
After a review of your application materials is completed, program faculty will request an admission interview.
Application and Admission Deadlines
Students may apply to this program for the Fall, Spring and Summer Terms. Please note the application and admission deadlines below. Applications are accepted throughout the year.
Application: July 1
Admission: August 15
Application: December 1
Admission: January 15
Application: May 1
Admission: June 1