Born in Rostock, Germany, Ms. Summers is an expert in German literature and linguistics with a specialty in teaching German as a foreign language. She has taught at Elmhurst College since 1996 and also taught at the Goethe Institute Chicago from 1996 to 2010.
She is interested in developments in modern German literature and the creation of interdisciplinary courses, especially in the connection between history and literature. Recently she has focused on the teaching of history in the context of German as a Foreign Language class room.
In 2010 she founded the German Literarischer Salon in Chicago.
Since 2012 she is one of the organizers of the Annual German Immersion Day for College Students.
- Diplomgermanistin (M.A.), Humboldt University Berlin
- GRM 101 Elementary German I
- GRM 102 Elementary German II
- GRM 201 Intermediate German I
- GRM 202 Intermediate German II
- GRM 301 Composition and Conversation I
- GRM 302 Composition and Conversation II
- GRM 335 German Literature (18th Century)
- GRM 305 Business German
- GRM 306 Contemporary German Political Culture
- GRM 313 Cultural Heritage of Germany
- GRM 452 Directed Reading (German Film; Film adaptations of novels)
- WL 209 World Literature in Translation
- Member, American Association of Teachers of German