Dear Elmhurst University Community:
It is hard to believe that Student Orientation begins next Wednesday, Aug. 25. Football players arrived on campus last week, and men’s and women’s soccer just moved in. The Resident Assistants are in training, and campus is definitely coming alive.
The COVID-19 Task Force remains optimistic for a good start to the semester. We will continue to monitor the latest news on COVID-19 and the Delta variant. We will also continue to seek guidance from the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), the Illinois Department of Public Health, and the DuPage County Health Department.
The following contains new information and reminders.
As of August 18, 2021, our vaccination rates on campus are as follows:
- 99.4% of the faculty have reported being fully vaccinated.
- 93.8% of the administration have reported being fully vaccinated
- 97.2% of the staff have reported being fully vaccinated or have received an exemption.
- 82.1% of the students have reported being fully vaccinated or have received an exemption.
We strongly encourage anyone who is not vaccinated to get vaccinated as soon as possible. Vaccines are now readily available and are free of charge.
Masks must be worn in all University-owned and -operated facilities, except when you are alone in your office, at your workstation, or in your residence hall room. This applies to vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals on campus.
Vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals are not required to wear masks outdoors except for when an event specifically requires masks for all attendees. The faculty/staff retreat on Monday, August 23, which will be held outdoors under a tent, will be a masked event.
When indoors, masks may be pulled away from your mouth while actively eating or drinking in the cafeteria or Bluejay Roost only. Otherwise—with the exception of private offices, workstations, and residence hall rooms—your mask should be worn properly at all times.
Faculty who are fully vaccinated and who are actively teaching in person may do so without a mask, provided they maintain at least six feet of physical distance at all times.
Students, faculty, and staff who are unvaccinated and received an exemption from the vaccination requirement are required to report for weekly surveillance testing throughout the fall semester. Surveillance testing will begin during the first week of classes. Testing will be available on Wednesday and Thursday, Sept. 1 and 2. We will announce the times and location in our next update.
- For individuals who are fully vaccinated and have an exposure:
- Refrain from testing following a known exposure, if asymptomatic.
- Refrain from quarantine following a known exposure, if asymptomatic
- For individuals who are fully vaccinated and are showing COVID-19 symptoms:
- Get tested off campus 3-5 days following a known exposure.
- Isolate for 10 days if you test positive for COVID-19.
- Complete the COVID-19 Reporting Form if you test positive.
Unvaccinated/Symptomatic or Asymptomatic
- Notify the University if you are exposed to, display symptoms of, or test positive for COVID-19.
- Stay home and isolate for 10 days.
- Get tested off campus 3-5 days following a known exposure
- You may return to work or classes if you are symptom-free after 10 days of isolation.
We thank you for your support and understanding as we prepare for the fall term. We will continue to provide updates as we monitor the pandemic and the changing health and government guidelines.
As always, please be safe and healthy.
The Elmhurst University COVID-19 Task Force