Niebuhr Service to Society Competition
Our annual competition identifies and rewards prospective first-year Elmhurst College students who show significant interest in serving society throughout their college careers.
Elmhurst College seeks students who are motivated to transform their communities. If you are active in community service, volunteerism and have a strong sense of social responsibility, this competition is for you!
All first-year admitted students who meet this criterion and have a minimum high school GPA of a 3.0 are invited to participate in the competition,* which will consist of two rounds:
Round 1: Due February 7, 2020
- Submit a video (no more than three minutes in length) on this topic:
- Demonstrate how you have made an impact through your service to society and reflect on how those actions could shape your experience at Elmhurst College.
- Submit a detailed service resume.
Round 2: Saturday, February 29, 2020
- Attend our scholarship event on Elmhurst College’s campus from 8:00 a.m.–noon.
The event will include a group service project, a featured speaker and a student showcase demonstrating the College’s dedication to stewardship, volunteerism and social responsibility.
- First place: The winner receives a four-year, full-tuition scholarship.
- Second place: The winner receives a stipend to cover four years’ room and board.
- All students who compete in both rounds receive a $1,000 annual Niebuhr Service to Society grant.
Dennis Arreaza’s service project donates soccer equipment to at-risk kids in Guatemala.