Elmhurst by the Numbers
Founded in 1871, Elmhurst University is a private, four-year college affiliated with the United Church of Christ.
Elmhurst combines the close-knit learning environment of a small school with the endless opportunities of a world-class city. Located in a beautiful suburb minutes from Chicago, the University offers everything you need to reach your full potential.
- #13 Best Regional Universities Midwest (#1 in that category in Illinois), U.S. News & World Report
- #8 Top Performers for Social Mobility, U.S. News & World Report
- #9 Most Innovative Schools in the Midwest, U.S. News & World Report
- #20 Best Colleges for Veterans (Regional Universities Midwest), U.S. News & World Report
- #20 Best Undergraduate Teaching (Regional Universities Midwest), U.S. News & World Report
- #16 America’s Top Colleges (Illinois), Forbes
- #19 Best Value Schools (Regional Universities Midwest), U.S. News & World Report
- 2022 Transfer Honor Roll (Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society)
Location and Campus
- The University is located in Elmhurst, Illinois, a vibrant suburb just a 30-minute train ride from Chicago, one of the world’s best cities.
- Our campus is a 48-acre arboretum, and our classic red-brick buildings boast up-to-date technology, a nationally recognized library, a spectacular art collection and more.
Majors and Programs
- The University offers more than 70 majors
- Several degree completion programs for adults
- Preprofessional programs, including health professions advising and pre-law advising
- 15 master’s degree programs
- Numerous undergraduate and graduate certificate programs
- All classes at Elmhurst are taught by professors, not teaching assistants
- About 82 percent of the University’s 158 full-time faculty hold the highest degree in their field
- The average class has 18 students
- The student to faculty ratio—13:1—is among the best in higher education
- Elmhurst attracts students from many states and countries, and from a wide variety of religious, racial and ethnic backgrounds
- The student body comprises about:
- 2,838 undergraduate students, including part-time and adult students
- 583 graduate students
- 39 Elmhurst Learning and Success Academy (ELSA) students
- 3,460 total
- More than 93 percent of Elmhurst alumni are employed full-time or in graduate school within a year after graduating.
- Our Russell G. Weigand Center for Professional Excellence will help you explore your passions, gain professional experience and prepare for a dynamic career.
- Student life offers more than 100 activities, from Greek life to intramural activities to the Mock Trial Team.
- Student-athletes compete on 20 NCAA Division III teams.
- In the past decade, Bluejay teams have won conference championships in five sports.
Costs and Financial Aid
- Full-time undergraduate tuition and fees for 2022–2023 is $39,862
- Basic room and board is $6,524, and a basic dining plan is $4,726
- We make a great education affordable by providing need-based financial aid and/or merit-based scholarships: 100% of new full-time students receive some type of scholarship or financial aid.