Where Health and Fun Meet
Campus Recreation strives to enhance the experience of a diverse student body by encouraging an active, healthy and balanced lifestyle through engagement in our recreational facilities, programs and services.
Students can become involved in Campus Recreation through the use of the Tyrrell Fitness Center, a comprehensive weight room and fitness center. Students can also choose to engage with Campus Recreation through Intramural Sports and open gym programming.
You can also get your game on in the Frick Center Game Room, open Mondy–Thursday from 2:00–10:00 p.m.
Changes to Operations for 2021
Due to Tier 3 mitigations from the state of Illinois, the following changes will be implemented in the Tyrrell Fitness Center and Tom Roberts Family Weight Room immediately:
- Face masks are required at all times in all areas of the Fitness Center, including while engaged in any individual exercise regardless of personal or machine spacing. So, whether you are warming up, using exercise or weight room equipment, or working out alone, your face mask must stay on!
- You must make a reservation in order to use the fitness floor or weight room, effective immediately. Please call the Fitness Center front desk, (630) 617-3411, to make your reservation. Capacity limits are in effect.
- A Jaypass is required to enter the facility. No one without a Jaypass will be allowed into the fitness center. You will be asked to swipe your Jaypass in our contactless card reader at the front desk.
- Temperature checks will be required before entry. Temperatures will be taken by the student employee at the front desk with a contactless infrared thermometer. If you have a temperature reading of 100.4 or above, or if you refuse to take your temperature taken, you will be asked to leave. A protective screen will separate you from our staff at the front desk.
- Locker rooms and lockers will be closed, so please arrive at the facility with workout attire.
- Showers will not be available for the term.
- Throughout our facilities, please look for signage, floor markings and other changes to minimize bottlenecks and congregation areas and to provide safe physical distancing between members.
- Backpacks need to be hung on hooks in the hallways. Backpacks or other personal items cannot be left on the floor.
- Capacity limits for each facility have been changed to:
- Weight room: 20
- Fitness floor: 20
- If we are at capacity, you will be asked to wait outside or return at a later time.
- No guests will be allowed at this time.
- Water fountains will be closed but the water bottle filling station will still be on, so please bring your own water bottle.
- Individuals are responsible for cleaning and sanitizing equipment before and after use. Sanitizing supply stations will be located throughout both areas.
- FC/WR student employees will also be wiping down equipment approximately every hour.
- Facility patrons should maintain 6 feet of physical distance during exercise.
- Equipment should not be shared between FC users at the same time.
- No food is allowed in either facility.
If you have any questions, direct them to Cheryl Leoni in the Office of Student Involvement at email@example.com or (630) 617-3189.
Due to COVID-19, we will not be offering intramurals. However, e-sports tournaments hosted by our EU e-sports will be offered. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
Tyrrell Fitness Center
Elmhurst’s two-story Fitness Center houses state-of-the-art facilities for weight training and physical fitness, and it’s available to all Elmhurst students. Here’s some of what you’ll find here:
- 3,000-square-foot strength room
- 3,000-square-foot cardiovascular fitness room with recumbent and upright bikes, elliptical trainers, stair climbers, treadmills and strength equipment
- Locker rooms
Hours of Operation
Reservations required. Call (630) 617-3411.
- Monday–Friday: 7:00 a.m.–10:00 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday: Noon–6:00 p.m.
Access to the fitness center requires a valid Jaypass.
Tyrrell Fitness Center
221 Walter St, Elmhurst, IL 60126