Ph.D., University of Illinois at Chicago
Dr. Mixon is an Associate Professor of Political Science and Director of the Urban Studies Program at Elmhurst College. She teaches courses in American government, state and local government, public administration, public policy, environmental studies, urban politics, and urban studies. She has received the American Political Science Association’s Phi Sigma Alpha Teaching Award, and in 2001 was named the Illinois Professor of the Year by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Dr. Mixon frequently provides political analysis and commentary for local and national media outlets, including the Chicago Sun-Times, Chicago Tribune, WGN, FOX, NPR, WBEZ, and NBC. She co-edited Twenty-First Century Chicago, now in its 3rd edition, which examines the major social, economic, political, and governmental challenges facing the Chicago metropolitan region. She is also the author of several peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters.
- POL 201 American Federal Government
- POL 202 American State and Local Government
- POL 300 Urban Politics
- POL 360 Public Policy and Administration
- POL/URB 468 Internship and Field Work
- POL/URB 421 Practical Politics and Political Campaigns
- BID 205 Understanding Politics Through Literature
- URB 210 Cities
- URB 291 Suburbia
- URB 430 Urban Management Seminar
- HCA 508 Healthcare Systems and Health Policy
- MPH 520 Public Health Politics and Policy