Programs of Study
Although students will inevitably start at different places and have different career and education goals, the department helps its students integrate their courses into their overall program of liberal and professional education through five comprehensive goals.
Students who choose to major in religious studies at Elmhurst University will:
- Comprehend significant aspects of religion through the critical examination of classical primary texts and related artifacts
- Examine historic and contemporary expressions of religion with intellectual integrity and spiritual sensitivity
- Analyze the nature and importance of one’s own convictions about faith, meaning and values while at the same time respecting the commitments of others
- Examine the religious basis for and be committed to personal integrity, benevolent service and social justice
- Describe central characteristics of our multicultural, interdependent and global human family