Celebrating Our Diversity
The mission of the Office of Equity and Inclusion (OEI) is to develop opportunities that promote inclusive excellence. Take advantage of the many ways to get involved.
We empower, advocate for, and support populations that have been traditionally underrepresented, including, but not limited to:
- Students of color
- First-generation college students
- Differently abled students
- Students who identify as LGBTQIA+
The Office of Equity and Inclusion provides training, facilitation and education on topics that challenge individuals to think critically about their worldview. We collaborate with student organizations, faculty, staff and administration to bring programs and services that enhance cultural awareness. Through our initiatives, the Office of Equity and Inclusion hopes to foster an environment that values, respects and celebrates the diverse identities represented at Elmhurst University and beyond.
Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI)
Elmhurst University is a designated Hispanic-Serving Institution, or HSI as of January 2022. This designation opens the door to provide our Hispanic, Latinx and underrepresented students with a successful Elmhurst experience. Hispanic-Serving Institutions (HSIs) are defined in Title V of the Higher Education Act as not-for-profit institutions of higher learning with a full-time equivalent (FTE) undergraduate student enrollment that is at least 25 percent Hispanic.
Milestones and Achievements
- January 2022: A Vice President for Equity & Inclusion was hired, and the Office of Equity & Inclusion was established.
- This enabled the capacity to later seek the Title V DHSI Grant and fulfill the grant goals
- January 2022: Elmhurst University is designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI)
- October 2022: Elmhurst University receives a $3.4 million Title V DHSI Grant, La Promesa Azul, to support and improve the attainment of Hispanic students
- September 2023: Grand Opening of El Centro de la Promesa Azul
Calling All Voices Podcast
OEI Peer Educator Student Worker Program
Office of Equity and Inclusion (OEI) Peer Educators will serve as student liaisons and establish connections and collaborations with active student organizations and affinity groups. OEI Peer Educators will assist in programming, co-facilitation of on campus seminars and workshops, and promote our department’s mission of creating a culture of equity and inclusion for students at Elmhurst University. For more information, please email us at email@example.com
Campus and Community Resources
Below are documents to help students and families in the Elmhurst University community. For questions about the resources listed, contact the Office of Equity and Inclusion.