On-Campus Housing

ISS strongly recommends that all undergraduate international students live on-campus at Elmhurst University; graduate students should consider it as well! Click here for more information regarding Elmhurst Housing and on-campus options (residence halls, campus apartments, and houses). Interested students can complete an application to live on-campus in the My Housing app on the myElmhurst Portal.

For more information contact:

Office of Housing and Residence Life


(630) 617-3150

Off-Campus Housing

Thanks to Elmhurst University’s location in Elmhurst, IL, there are ample options for off-campus living that students can search for and obtain. Any student that chooses to live off-campus is strongly recommended to live within an easily commutable distance (both time and cost) and near easily accessible public transportation if a personal vehicle is not available to you for use. Students are encouraged to utilize Google Maps (or their preferred map/directions site) to determine their commute length and cost prior to signing a lease or agreement. It is important to do so to ensure you are able to make it to campus for all classes and other obligations.

When applying for an apartment, a landlord may require an application fee and a credit check (which may require a Social Security number or ITIN), as well as proof of income. In addition, when signing a lease, a landlord may also require a deposit (usually equivalent to one month’s rent) in addition to the first rent payment on the first day of the lease term. Landlords or apartment companies often ask international students to prove their immigration status and student status with a copy of the student’s I-20. Students can provide copies of these documents when applying for off-campus housing.

Here are some tips on renting an apartment without a credit history or SSN:

  • Provide proof of financial assistance or ability
    • Bank statements, scholarship letters, etc.
  • Use your parent/guardian proof of income
  • Provide reference letters
  • Find a co-signer
  • Find a US guarantor
  • Bring your visa, passport, I-20, and driver’s license (if you have one)

Connect with #elmhurstu