Graduate Certificate in Project Management
Elmhurst’s graduate certificate in project management uses four existing courses from the master of project management program.
Students who complete the four courses for credit will receive the graduate certificate in project management, or they may complete an additional six courses to earn a master of project management.
Upon completing this program, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate and apply practical and theoretical project management skills to a wide variety of projects.
- Outline the various techniques utilized in project management for beginning, managing and ending projects.
- Identify the basic tools of project management to include project plans, Gantt charts and other tools and techniques applied in the project management process.
- Recognize and explain the dynamics associated with effective communications, stakeholders, urgency and managing to defined timeframes and budgets.
- Evaluate critical success factors for effectiveness in achieving project objectives.
- Apply skills and techniques gained for success on the PMP professional certification competency exam.
The graduate certificate in project management is a part-time, EU Flex program that can be completed in as little as one year. Students complete coursework through eight-week sessions.
Four courses are required, with one optional course:
- MBA 509 Project Management
- MPM 501 Project Management Fundamentals in Practice I
- MPM 502 Project Management Fundamentals in Practice II
- MPM 503 Tools and Techniques of the Project Manager
- MPM 590 PMP Exam Preparation Review Course (optional)
If a student chooses to complete the master in project management, additional coursework will include: MBA 500, MBA 504, MDS 561, MBA 558, and two of the following graduate-level electives: MBA 552, MBA 553, MBA 554, MBA 555, MBA 556, MDS 534, MDS 560 and MDS 562.
Applicants for the graduate certificate in project management must have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited university/college.
Those who wish to take the Project Management Professional (PMP) exam are required by the Project Management Institute (PMI) to have a minimum of three years of project management experience consisting of at least 4,500 hours spent leading and directing projects.
To apply for the graduate certificate in project management, complete the application for graduate admission and follow the instructions for non-degree students. If you wish to complete the additional coursework to earn the master of project management, you must apply following all of the admission requirements for the master’s degree program.
For more information, contact the Office of Admission at firstname.lastname@example.org or (630) 617-3400.