Careers and Outcomes
A philosophy major provides a strong foundation for a career in almost any field, including education, computer science, law, business, public policy, psychology, theology, and philosophy itself.
Graduate schools and employers of all kinds value the clarity of thinking and creativity that philosophy engenders. Some specific fields that philosophy majors often pursue:
- Careers in academia. Several of our graduates have gone on to earn a Ph.D. in philosophy or another field.
- Careers in law. The focus on logic, reasoning, and argumentation makes philosophy an ideal major for those planning legal careers.
- Medical ethics. There is a growing need for philosophers to work as ethicists in hospitals and other medical settings.
- Graduate study in cognitive science or related fields. Philosophy helps students deal with the difficult conceptual issues involved in understanding the mind.
- Careers in business and policy. Our students have been hired to work as data analysts and business or policy strategists.
Graduates of Elmhurst’s philosophy program are currently working in areas such as civil service, the social sciences and business, and have attended top graduate schools for law, philosophy and psychology among other fields.