We’d be happy to tell you more about applying to Elmhurst College as a military service member or veteran. Here are answers to some of the questions we hear most often; if you have additional questions, contact us.

No, you can apply to the College at no cost.

Elmhurst accepts all federal VA educational programs.

You must contact the VA to determine your eligibility for benefits. You can find more information at the VA Education & Training website or by calling the GI Bill® hotline at 1 (888) GI-BILL-1 (1 (888) 442-4551).

The Yellow Ribbon Program is an agreement between the VA and the College to make additional funds available for your education program without an additional charge to your GI Bill® entitlement.

To receive benefits under the Yellow Ribbon Program, you must meet all of the following criteria:

  • You must be eligible for the maximum benefit rate (100%) under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®
  • You must not be on active duty or a spouse using transferred entitlement while your spouse is on active duty
  • Child transferees of active duty service members may be eligible if the service member is qualified at the 100% rate*

For more information, please visit the VA Yellow Ribbon Program website.

You can submit your Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps and Navy transcripts through the Joint Services Transcript website. Air Force transcripts can be requested through the Community College of the Air University/CCAF website.

Transcripts can be sent electronically to transcripts4ec@elmhurst.edu or via traditional mail to:

Office of Admission
Elmhurst College
190 Prospect Avenue
Elmhurst, IL 60126

Eligible service members may be able to transfer their Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to spouses and dependents. For more information, please refer to the VA GI Bill® transfer website. Additionally, dependents and spouses of a service member who died in the line of duty, died as a result of a service-connected disability while on active duty, or is permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service-connected condition may be eligible for educational benefits.

For more information, please see the VA Survivors and Dependents Assistance website.

No, this program is only available to Illinois public institutions and community colleges.

Yes. You are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships when you apply to Elmhurst College. If you are awarded any scholarships, you can accept them along with VA educational benefits.

Yes. You may apply for financial aid without any impact on your VA education benefits. To apply for financial aid, file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

New claims typically take eight to 10 weeks for the VA to process. It may take longer, depending on current processing volume.

To avoid delays or overpayment of VA education benefits, each VA benefit recipient is responsible for reporting any changes in status to the VA Certifying Official at Elmhurst College, including:

  • Change of address
  • Change of program or schedule
  • Change in enrollment status (for instance, if you drop from full-time attendance to part time)
  • Withdrawal from the College

You may contact the Elmhurst College VA Certifying Official Kathy Maxwell at (630) 617-3079.

Veterans and service members using the Post-9/11 GI Bill® can obtain this information at the eBenefits website. Dependents, spouses and recipients of all other GI Bill® benefits must call the GI Bill® Hotline at 1 (888) 442-4551 to receive an updated status of their remaining eligibility.

If you don’t see your question here, please feel free to contact us at Elmhurst College. You may also contact the VA directly using the GI Bill® Frequently Asked Questions website.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Connect with #ElmhurstCollege