Financial Aid and Military Benefits
The University offers a variety of need- and merit-based financial aid programs, including scholarships, grants, loans and student employment to assist the student in paying for an Elmhurst University education.
Elmhurst University participates in all applicable federal programs for veterans, service persons and their dependents. We encourage all who are potentially eligible for these benefits to apply.
However, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) or other agency, as appropriate, makes the final determination of eligibility. For more information on veteran eligibility for educational benefits, please visit the VA website.
Elmhurst University does not participate in the Illinois Veterans Grant (IVG) or Illinois National Guard Grant (ING). IVG and ING are only available at Illinois public institutions.
All veterans new to Elmhurst University must complete the Veteran Benefit Enrollment Form (log in with your eNumber and password).
For more information about enrollment certification for VA benefits at Elmhurst University, please contact the Office of Student Financial Services at (630) 617-3015.
Post 9/11 GI Bill® Benefits (Chapter 33)
Effective Aug. 1, 2020, eligible veterans may receive the following educational benefits.
- VA will pay the claimant’s benefits percentage up to a limit of $25,162.14 per academic year to the certifying school.
- The Yellow Ribbon Program may be utilized for eligible students who are at the 100% benefit level to pay for tuition and fees above the yearly cap.
- Paid to the student by the VA based on the Basic Allowance for Housing of the zip code in which the college is located
- The current full monthly rate for Elmhurst University students is $2,142.
- Monthly housing allowances are prorated on the rate of pursuit rounded to the nearest multiple of 10
- The rate of pursuit must be more than 50% for all veterans receiving Chapter 33 housing benefits
- Students solely enrolled in distance learning will receive a monthly housing allowance equal to 50% of the national average of all basic housing allowances
- Paid to the student
- $41.67 per credit certified up to 24 credits, or up to $1,000 per year
The Post 9/11 GI Bill® also includes a provision that a school may voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to pay some of the tuition and fees charges that are not covered under Chapter 33. Elmhurst University participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program and will accept an unlimited number of Yellow Ribbon students.
- The VA will match each additional dollar funded by the school
- The combined amounts may not exceed the full cost of the school’s tuition and fees charged
Elmhurst University and the VA will each contribute up to $11,000 per academic year. Only individuals entitled to the 100 percent benefit rate (based on service of 36 months or more) may receive funding from Yellow Ribbon.
More information and updates to the program will be posted on the GI Bill® website.
Military Tuition Assistance
Military Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, National Guard, and Coast Guard. Congress has given each service the ability to pay up to $250 per semester credit hour for the tuition expenses of its members. Each military branch has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process and restrictions. Click on the following links for detailed information:
- Air Force Tuition Assistance
- Army Tuition Assistance
- Navy Tuition Assistance
- Marines Tuition Assistance
- Coast Guard Tuition Assistance
- National Guard Tuition Assistance
- Reserve Tuition Assistance
To apply for Tuition Assistance, you must first speak with their Education Service Officer, military counselor, or Service. Approval for TA is granted through each individual branch. To visit the TA portal for each branch, visit:
Once approved for Tuition Assistance through your Service, contact Allison Hostetler in Student Financial Services. You will need to provide your TA Authorization Form to the office.
Please Note: The DoD announced that they will no longer authorize Tuition Assistance for classes for which a member is also receiving benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve program (chapter 1606 of title 10, United States Code), Reserve Educational Assistance Program (chapter 1607 of title 10, United States Code), or any other GI Bill® program other than the Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty program (chapter 30 of title 38, United States Code) or the Post-9/11 GI Bill® program (chapter 33 of title 38, United States Code).
For questions regarding Tuition Assistance, visit us in the Office of Student Financial Services, Goebel Hall, lower level; or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Military Spouses and Dependents
Military spouses and dependents who are eligible for VA and DOD educational benefits can apply them toward their education at Elmhurst University. The following VA and DOD benefits may be used at Elmhurst University:
- Transfer of Post-9/11 GI Bill®
- Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship
- Dependents Educational Assistance Program
For more information on these benefits, please visit the VA spouses, dependents and survivors website. For more information on how these benefits can be applied at Elmhurst University, contact the Office of Student Financial Services at (630) 617-3015.
- Financial Aid at Elmhurst University
- Federal VA Education Benefits
- Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs Benefits
- College Scorecard
- College Navigator
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.