The M.S.Ed. in special education at Elmhurst is designed for experienced teachers from prekindergarten to high school with professional educator licenses in early childhood, elementary, secondary, middle school, and K-12 specialty areas, including special education.
The curriculum includes approved coursework for the State of Illinois Special Education endorsement, which may be added to the professional license after successful completion of the Learning Behavior Specialist 1 (LBS1, #155) exam.
The program emphasizes teacher leadership within school communities and the profession, with coursework that advances teachers’ practice to enable them to provide research-based special education services in their classrooms and schools. Teachers are engaged as critical thinkers in studying the current issues and practices in the field of special education as they apply best practices and develop innovative projects for their classrooms and schools.
In highly interactive classes, you’ll form learning partnerships with educators from a range of disciplines. You’ll work closely with exceptional full-time faculty with diverse areas of expertise and prior experience as classroom teachers. In fact, you’ll enjoy ready access to a full-time faculty advisor throughout your time at Elmhurst.
This program readily accommodates the schedules of working teachers. You’ll earn your degree on a schedule that works for you, with classes meeting every other week on campus in a hybrid format, meeting alternately on campus or online.
- You can take one, two or three courses in a term and start in the Fall, Spring or Summer Terms.
- Fall and spring classes meet on weekday evenings from 6:00 to 8:30 p.m. on campus.
- Summer courses are offered Mondays through Thursdays during the day in 3- and 6-week formats from mid-June through July.
- You may complete the program in 18 months of full-time study, or take up to four years to finish.
- Courses are not sequential, so the order in which you complete your course work is up to you.
The Commission on Institutions of Higher Education accredits all graduate programs at Elmhurst College.
Coursework for the LBS1 endorsement has been approved by the Illinois State Board of Education.