Minors in Kinesiology
Minor in Health Education
Students who have school licensure with the Illinois State Board of Education may obtain an endorsement in health education by completing the health education minor at Elmhurst College and passing the state content area test.
- KIN 200 Lifestyle for Health and Wellness (.50 credit)
- KIN 204 Emergency Procedures (.50 credit)
- KIN 230 School Health (.50 credit)
- KIN 235 Curriculum Design for Physical Education and Health Education
- KIN 240 Community Health (.50 credit)
- KIN 250 Substance Use and Abuse in Society (.50 credit)
- KIN 306 Nutrition
- KIN 346 Human Sexuality
- KIN 360 Contemporary Concepts in Health
Minor in Coaching
A coaching minor will provide the fundamental knowledge that is essential for coaching any sport. Successful coaches are not only well versed in technical and tactical skills, but also know how to teach life skills. The intent of this minor is to develop the skills of volunteer youth coaches with the added benefit of certifying them through the American Sport Education Program.
This certification will provide an individual the necessary credentials to coach at the middle school and high school levels. The minor will focus on helping coaches develop in the areas of philosophy, physical training, management, communication, motivation and the teaching of sport skills. The quality of all courses in the minor must be C or better.
- KIN 202 Individual or Dual Sports or KIN 203 Team Sports
- KIN 285 Coaching Theory
- KIN 306 Nutrition
- KIN 323 Sport and Exercise Psychology
- KIN 410 Kinesiology for Physical Education
Minor in Sport Management
Combine your passion for sports with the business skills you need with this interdisciplinary minor. The minor consists of 5.50 units of credit with courses drawn from the departments of kinesiology and business.
- KIN 210 Foundations of Sport Management (.50 credit)
- KIN 322 Sport and Society
- KIN 380 Comparative Interdisciplinary Studies: Play, Sport and Pedagogy in Ancient Greece
- KIN 415 Sport Ethics and the Law
- BUS 250 Management Theory and Practice
- BUS 354 Human Resource Management