Our Communication Services
The Elmhurst University Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic provides high-quality services and care for all clients.
The clinic provides speech and language evaluations and therapy for individuals of all ages with communication difficulties. Caregiver involvement is encouraged through ongoing consultation with clinical staff, in-session activities, and observation from behind one-way mirrors.
Services are offered in English and Spanish. Families may inquire about the current availability of services in additional languages. Clients from all cultural and language backgrounds are welcome.
Our services are primarily provided by Elmhurst University communication and sciences disorders students and are supervised by the Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic educators. All clinical faculty are certified by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) and licensed by the State of Illinois.
The clinic provides speech and language evaluations and treatment for individuals of all ages with communication needs associated with the following:
- Receptive and expressive language
- Language-based learning disabilities
- Speech sound production
- Voice and resonance
- Stroke-induced language loss (e.g., aphasia)
- Cognitive aspects of communication (e.g., associated with right hemisphere brain damage, traumatic brain injury)
- Hearing impairment
- Social aspects of communication
- Speech and language delay
- Use of augmentative and alternative communication (AAC)
- Down, Cornelia de Lange, fetal alcohol and other syndromes
- Support services and community participation opportunities for adults with language and cognitive disorders, in partnership with Chicago Aphasia Network
How to Get Started
Located in Circle Hall on the Elmhurst University campus, the Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic offers evaluation and treatment in bright, airy surroundings.
- Address: 190 Prospect Ave., Elmhurst, Illinois 60126 (view maps and directions)
To begin the application process or receive more information about our clinic, please call (630) 617-3555 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Seven therapy rooms
- Caregiver observation rooms
- A well-equipped materials room
- A family-friendly environment
- Dedicated faculty
- Friendly and supportive student clinicians
Clinic Sessions and Registration
Registration is required for each of our clinic terms:
- Fall (September–December)
- Spring (February–May)
- Summer (June–July)
Priority registration is granted to our current clients. Once our current clients register for the clinic, we will start reaching out to clients on our waitlist.
New client registration begins approximately one month before the start of each new session and closes approximately one week before the start of each new session.
Each clinic term, there may be a waitlist in place for interested/new clients. Our clinic is a learning facility and therefore clients are chosen based on clinic population needs and appointment availability.
In order to be placed on our waitlist, turn in the following paperwork to our office prior to the start of the clinic term:
- Client Case History Form (Adult or Child)
- Speech Evaluation performed within the last year, or:
- A recent IEP
- Early Intervention Documentation
- Speech Report
- Any other supporting medical documentation
We do our best to enroll new clients off our waitlist each term but if we are unable to enroll you, you will remain on our waitlist for the next clinic term.
The Elmhurst University Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic will no longer charge set fees for our services due to changes in insurance regulations.
Donations are accepted every clinic term, and we encourage our clients to help invest in their treatment, when possible, through a donation to the Elmhurst University Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic. Visit the University’s donation page to view suggested donations and give. To contribute directly to the clinic, under “Area of Support” select “Speech Clinic and Communication Sciences and Disorders Support Fund” from the dropdown menu.
Each clinic term, clients will also receive a donation card, if they wish to donate by check. All donations are tax-deductible.