Careers and Outcomes
Speech-language pathology is a deeply rewarding field with enormous potential for growth. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, employment in the field is expected to grow “much faster than the average” between now and 2024.
In the last three years, more than 94% of CSD majors who have applied as seniors have been accepted to at least one graduate program in the field.
Graduate study is required for national certification, licensure in most states and a public school certificate in Illinois. After earning their graduate degrees, our students launch dynamic careers in a variety of settings, including schools, hospitals, skilled nursing facilities and clinics.
Here are just a few of our outstanding alumni:
- Annice Coughlan ’12, is a bi-lingual speech-language pathologist at Palatine School District #15. She also supervises our students here in the ECSLHC.
- Rebecca Mental ’12, completed her Ph.D. at Case Western Reserve University in Ohio. Her dissertation was titled Using Realistic Visual Biofeedback for the Remediation of Residual Speech Sound Errors. She is currently the Director of Speech, Language& Hearing at the Cleveland Hearing & Speech Center.
- Jennifer Favela ’14, received her M.S. from Saint Xavier University. She is the Clinic Director and Owner of Soy Bilingual Speech Therapy. She is also a Bilingual Speech-Language Pathologist.
- Micaela Mullaney Hastings ’15, is a speech-language pathologist at Rupley Elementary School in Community Consolidated School District #59. She also supervises our students in the ECSLHC.
- Brittany Nolan M.S. ’15, is currently Director of Specialty Services at BY YOUR SIDE Autism Therapy Services in Schaumburg where she also supervises Elmhurst graduate students. She often travels to new By Your Side locations in other states to help start their programs. She is also involved with the UpS for DownS Theatre Company where she works with actors with disabilities on improving their speech.
- Gail Dudesek, M.S. ’15, and Alyssa Amidei, M.S. ’15, both work at Pediatric Interactions in Grayslake. This is a multidisciplinary pediatric outpatient clinic in Grayslake, IL.
- Domnika Matuzik ’17, is a bilingual (Polish-English) Speech Language Pathologist and owner of DM Speech Therapy LLC and services clients in the Chicagoland Area.
- Julia D’Agostini, M.S. ’18, is a Speech Language Pathologist at Spring Trail Elementary in Elgin School District 46.
- Nick Caruso ’18, received her M.S. from Midwestern. Currently a Speech Language Pathologist at Chmela Communication Center. Also involved with Camp Shout Out.
- Christina (O’Connor) Rosengren, M.S. ’18, is a Speech Language Pathologist at Treehouse Pediatric Therapy.
- Christina Renter, M.S. ’18, is a Speech-Language Pathologist and Cross-Country coach at Bartlett High School.
- Jackie Ryer, MS ’19, is a Clinic Director at Little Steps Pediatric Therapy/Ivy Rehab. This is a multidisciplinary outpatient clinic.
- Kelly Cunningham, M.S. ’19, is a Speech Language Pathologist at Ascension in Elgin. She supervises grad students in off-site placements.
- Lordeana Lappano Schiavone, M.S. ’19, is a Speech Language Pathologist in Lincoln School, Palatine District #15.
- Amy Nelson, M.S. ’21, is a Bilingual Speech Language Pathologist at RUSH Kids Pediatric Therapy.
- Abby Anderson, M.S. ’21, is a Speech Language Pathologist at Arlington Heights School District 25.
- Angela Bogusz, M.S. ’22, is a Speech Language Pathologist at Des Plaines School District 62.
- Ellie Kirchberg, M.S. ’23, is a Speech Language Pathologist at Advocate Aurora Health.
Elmhurst University’s Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders (CSD) is dedicated to preparing its students for the successful understanding of human communication and its disorders and differences. Our hope is that our CSD alums, current undergraduate/graduate students, and prospective students interested in the field of speech pathology will visit our group often to learn about news and happenings in the field of speech-language pathology, as well as what’s happening right here in the CSD department at Elmhurst University. Dialogue is encouraged.Please visit our LinkedIn website