Careers and Outcomes
Speech-language pathology is a deeply rewarding field with enormous potential for growth. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, employment in the field is expected to grow “much faster than the average” between now and 2024.
In the last three years, more than 94% of CSD majors who have applied as seniors have been accepted to at least one graduate program in the field.
Graduate study is required for national certification, licensure in most states and a public school certificate in Illinois. After earning their graduate degrees, our students launch dynamic careers in a variety of settings, including schools, hospitals, skilled nursing facilities and clinics.
Here are just a few of our outstanding alumni:
- Jola Grzybowski ’14, MS’16, speech-language pathologist at Mercy Hospital, Chicago
- Sarah Buti ’12, MS’15, founding speech-language pathologist at Gigi’s Playhouse, a widely recognized center to support the achievement of people with Down syndrome.
- Marina Peri ’06, a graduate of Northwestern University’s Communication Sciences and Disorders graduate program and now an external clinical supervisor for Elmhurst students. Ms. Peri is employed at a multi-disciplinary private pediatric practice in which she provides therapy services to children (birth-18) with various needs in the clinical, daycare, and home settings.
- Christopher Spiel ’02, a speech-language pathologist who was honored by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association for his innovative development of a peer communication group at Plainfield East High School
- Sarah Clifford Scheflen ’00, co-founder of Teach 2 Talk
Elmhurst College’s Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders (CSD) is dedicated to preparing its students for the successful understanding of human communication and its disorders and differences. Our hope is that our CSD alums, current undergraduate/graduate students, and prospective students interested in the field of speech pathology will visit our group often to learn about news and happenings in the field of speech-language pathology, as well as what’s happening right here in the CSD department at Elmhurst College. Dialogue is encouraged.Please visit our LinkedIn website