1. Begin planning for your internship one semester before you want to intern.
- Visit CPEessentials.com to learn more about internships.
- Consider taking CPP 299 Professional Foundations of Career Development—this will help you narrow your career field, and make connections in the field of your choice.
- Being involved in the Mentoring Program may help you make the necessary connections to find an internship in your field.
2. Complete and submit the Student Internship Application (which can be found on CPEessentials.com) before you attend an Internship Info Session. Applications should be submitted to Holly Coffin via e-mail at email@example.com.
3. Attend an Internship Info Session with Holly Coffin at least one semester before you want to intern. See CPEessentials.com for dates and times.
4. Register on www.ECconnect.com, for more career information and resources.
5. Register on www.elmhurst.optimalresume.com.
- Create your resume and cover letter.
- If you need one-on-one assistance, please contact Ingrid Becton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once approved, upload these documents to ECconnect.com.
6. Create and complete a LinkedIn profile.
7. Finding an Internship Site:
- Utilize the Internship Resources on CPEessentials.com and ECconnect.com.
- Connect with your Faculty Advisor/Professors, or Mentor.
- Network with family and friends. (See Internship Guidelines for site criteria approval.)
8. Applying for an internship:
- Note the application procedures as specified by each internship site. Some require a cover letter, writing samples, etc. while others request only your resume.
- Follow up with a phone call or e-mail to make certain your resume has been received and inquire about the selection process. Persistence pays!
9. To register for academic credit:
- Once you secure an internship site, schedule a mandatory meeting with Holly Coffin to complete internship forms and review the Blackboard course.
- Obtain the Consent to Register form (can be found in the Career Education Office or Records and Registration in Goebel Hall).
- Return the Consent to Register form to Records and Registration in Goebel Hall (signed by both Faculty Monitor and Internship Coordinator Holly Coffin) to officially register your internship for-credit.