Begin Your Professional Journey
The Weigand Center for Professional Excellence supports students and alumni as they assess their strengths, explore career possibilities and prepare for the job search. We can help in many ways.
- Identify Your Strengths. What are the traits and skills that set you apart, and where do your interests fall? Career-oriented surveys and assessments provide insights and suggest paths likely to lead to success. You’ll gain a greater understanding of yourself, and tools to help you make smart decisions about your future.
- Career Guidance. Career Education staff will help you set career goals, craft a strong résumé and conduct effective interviews. You can attend seminars on different aspects of the workplace and enroll in career-planning classes and workshops. We also invite you to browse the career resource library, located in our office.
- Mentoring and Shadowing. Job shadowing gives you the chance to accompany professionals through their workday to explore whether a particular career is a good fit for you. Mentoring establishes a longer-term relationship with a professional who can offer guidance in your career planning.
- Graduate School Preparation. If you plan to pursue postgraduate professional or academic study, we’ll help you navigate the process.
- First Leap. This four-day program is designed for first-year students interested in early career exploration. First Leap combines classroom lessons with visits to businesses and nonprofit organizations.
- Sophomore Success Workshop. Explore majors and focus on your academic strengths in this five-hour program for second-year students.
- Career Courses. Enroll in CPP 299 or CPP 399 to earn academic credit while exploring career options and expanding your networking skills.
For more information, or to schedule an appointment with a career counselor, please contact us.