Begin Your Professional Journey
The Weigand Center for Professional Excellence supports students and alumni as they assess their strengths, explore career possibilities and prepare for the job search. We can help in many ways.
- Identify Your Strengths. What are the traits and skills that set you apart, and where do your interests fall? Career-oriented surveys and assessments provide insights and suggest paths likely to lead to success. You’ll gain a greater understanding of yourself, and tools to help you make smart decisions about your future.
- Career Guidance. Career Education staff will help you set career goals, craft a strong résumé and conduct effective interviews. You can attend seminars on different aspects of the workplace, enroll in career-planning classes and workshops. Browse the career resource library.
- Mentoring and Shadowing. Job shadowing gives you the chance to accompany professionals through their workday to explore whether a particular career is a good fit for you. Mentoring establishes a longer-term relationship with a professional who can offer guidance in your career planning.
- Graduate School Preparation. If you plan to pursue postgraduate professional or academic study, we’ll help you navigate the process.
- First Leap. This four-day program is designed for First-Year students interested in early career exploration. First Leap combines classroom lessons with visits to businesses and nonprofit organizations.
- Enrolling in CPP 299 Professional Foundations of Career Development will help you narrow your career field. Becoming involved in the Mentoring Program may help you establish connections.
For more information, or to schedule an appointment with a career counselor, please contact us.