Vocal Voyage Camp
July 16-19, 2018
The Vocal Voyage Camp is open for high school students to explore singing through the musical genres—Classical, Jazz, Musical Theater and Pop. Students learn vocal techniques and how to apply it to different styles with private lessons and master classes. The camp is taught by two of Elmhurst College’s outstanding music faculty, Gayle Bisesi and Susan Dennis.
What’s New at Camp This Year?
- Jazz and Pop selections will be performed with a live combo, instead of with karaoke tracks
- Classical and Musical Theater selections will be staged and costumed
- Monday, 12:00–5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday-Thursday, 12:30-5:30 p.m.
- Recital: Thursday at 6:00 p.m.
Elmhurst College in Irion Hall, Buick Recital Hall
Free and open to the public
Participants pay just a $420 fee which includes all instruction, costumes, props, live instrumental combo, free open to the public recital at Elmhurst College (light reception to follow), video of your performance, camp t-shirt, and snacks all four days.
What to Prepare
Please come prepared with two songs. You must choose one Classical or Musical Theatre piece and one Jazz or Pop piece. Below is a recommended song list. Prior to the first day of camp, the faculty will review and approve all song selections.
- Classical List: 26 Italian Songs and Arias, English Art Songs, French Art Songs, German Art Songs, Italian Art Songs and solo’s from Oratorio repertoire
- Musical Theatre List: The Singers Musical Theatre Anthology (SATB), The Teen’s Musical Theatre Collection and Disney songs (in the original keys)
- The vocal selections from musicals [i.e. ”West Side Story“] are not in the original keys and are discouraged. This is not a true representation of the character’s song.
- Jazz List: Please review Jazz Standards (pdf)
- Pop List: Please select a song according to your vocal range and voice part (Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass)