Vocal Voyage Camp
On hiatus in 2020. Please check back or contact us about the summer of 2021.
The Vocal Voyage Camp is open to high school students who want to explore singing through exposure to different musical genres: classical, jazz, musical theater and pop.
Students learn vocal techniques and how to apply it to different styles with private lessons and master classes. The camp is taught by two of Elmhurst College’s outstanding music faculty, Gayle Bisesi and Susan Dennis.
- Jazz and Pop selections will be performed with a live combo, instead of with karaoke tracks
- Classical and Musical Theater selections will be staged and costumed
What to Prepare
Please come prepared with two songs. You must choose one classical or musical theater piece and one jazz or pop piece. Below is a recommended song list. Prior to the first day of camp, the faculty will review and approve all song selections.
- Classical List: 26 Italian Songs and Arias, English Art Songs, French Art Songs, German Art Songs, Italian Art Songs and solos from Oratorio repertoire
- Musical Theater List: The Singers Musical Theatre Anthology (SATB), The Teen’s Musical Theatre Collection and Disney songs (in the original keys)
- The vocal selections from musicals (i.e., West Side Story) are not in the original keys and are discouraged. This is not a true representation of the character’s song.
- Jazz List: Please review Jazz Standards (PDF)
- Pop List: Please select a song according to your vocal range and voice part (Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass)