Jump into Big Data—and a Big Job Market—with a Master’s in Data Science
Degree Type: Master of Science (M.S.) | Format: Online | Department: Computer Science and Information Systems | Time to Degree: 2 Years
Today’s tech-driven world means we have more access to information and ways to interpret it than ever before. It also means we need more people who can organize and analyze that information — people who can use data to make change and help businesses. People like you.
In Elmhurst University’s STEM-designated Master of Data Science and Analytics program, you’ll learn data science fundamentals like data gathering methods, data systems and programming languages. You’ll discover how to use data science in real-world contexts, such as helping a business unlock value. And, you’ll do it all in a flexible, online format that works around your schedule.
Learn Data Science in a Program Built Around You
Elmhurst University’s Master’s in Data Science and Analytics program is designed around you at every stage, from admissions to graduation. From the flexible format to the variety in coursework, here’s what you can expect from the M.S. in Data Science and Analytics program at Elmhurst:
- STEM-designated. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) recognizes master’s in data science programs for their focus on science, technology, engineering, and math.
- Flexibility built into every step. Apply without having to take the GRE or GMAT, no matter what undergraduate degree you have. Once enrolled, you can complete your master’s on a manageable timeline.
- 100% online. Balance work, school and life while you earn your data science master’s online. Our program is delivered in eight-week sessions over the course of two years to help you thrive while you juggle responsibilities outside of school.
- Top-tier data science faculty. Learn data science under faculty who’ve worked in business, infrastructure and programming. Well-versed in the most current data science concepts, our master’s of data science program faculty will work closely with you to help you succeed in your coursework and apply the concepts you learn to real-world business scenarios.
- Seemingly endless opportunities. Learn data science concepts and skills you can apply in almost any industry. In Elmhurst’s M.S. in data science and analytics, you’ll develop a portfolio of projects to help you gain employment.
Why Get Your Data Science Master’s Degree?
What Can You Do With a Data Science Master’s Degree?
Big data is everywhere, and companies nationwide are looking to capitalize on it. This means master’s in data science salaries and job opportunities are growing. After earning a data science master’s degree, you’ll be set up to thrive in business, government or the nonprofit sector.
Graduates of our Master’s in Data Science and Analytics program work in every sector, from business to healthcare to major league sports. Our data science master’s degree alumni have worked at Monsanto Corporation, Dell, Nationwide Insurance, Major League Soccer, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, the American Dental Association and more.
Master’s in Data Science Careers
You could work in a variety of jobs in data science such as:
- Business analyst
- Data scientist
- Data strategy manager
- Market research analyst
- Operations manager
- Predictive modeler
- Risk manager
What Master’s in Data Science Program Graduates Are Saying
The assignments have challenged me to think beyond the literal and go 10 steps down the road, which changed my approach. As early as the first class, I have been applying my lessons in my work, and it has been noticed and acknowledged!”Carolyn Meier ’17 Data Scientist, LexisNexis Risk Solutions
Explore Data Science Master’s Program Courses
- Data Warehousing: Learn data science introductory concepts and the basics of network database systems, including database design and storage.
- Introduction to Business Intelligence, Data Mining, and Predictive Modeling: Get the foundation you’ll need for gathering business intelligence and advising businesses using data.
- Data Science for Business Transformation: Apply concepts like robotics and automation to learn how to create more efficient business processes.
- Advanced Machine Learning Applications: Learn commercial data science software and open-source programming languages like Python.
Programs Related to the M.S. in Data Science and Analytics at Elmhurst University
Interested in other technology or information careers? Check out the programs below, or browse all of our graduate programs.
- Graduate Certificate in Data Science
- Graduate Certificate in Enterprise Optimization
- M.S. in Computer Information Technology
- M.S. in Geographic Information Systems
Frequently Asked Questions
No. Elmhurst University welcomes applications from students who hold an undergraduate degree in any major from a regionally accredited institution.
Yes. A basic course in statistics (with a grade of C or better) and prior coursework in programming or equivalent professional experience are prerequisites for the program.
Our prerequisites may be completed with satisfactory completion of a short LinkedIn Learning course prior to starting classes with us. For example:
- Statistics Foundations 1,2, and 3
- Programming Foundations: Fundamentals
Prerequisites also can be completed as part of the student’s undergraduate coursework or transferred from another college or university.
Learn more about admission requirements.
Yes. We offer a five-course graduate certificate in Data Science. Click on the link to learn more.