Power Up Your Career with an MCIT Master’s Degree
Degree Type: Master of Science (M.S.) | Format: EU Flex | Department: Computer Science and Information Systems | Time to Degree: 2 Years
Hardware and software. Teambuilding and networking. LANs and WANs. Databases and server systems. All technical know-how that can help you navigate today’s technological landscape—and secure a promising career.
If designing, programming and creating secure and seamlessly functioning digital environments sounds exciting to you, the MCIT program at Elmhurst University can help you master these skills and others.
In our STEM-designated master’s in computer information technology program, you’ll learn both the hard skills and big-picture thinking you need to set yourself apart in IT. Whether you want to build computer networks, program the latest app, collect data to help businesses grow or even go on to get your MBA, our flexible, adaptive MCIT program makes it possible.
An IT Master’s Degree Built Around You
We’ve designed our information technology master’s degree to offer you the flexibility and tools to master IT skills. You’ll experience the benefits of Elmhurst’s MCIT degree from day one, whether it’s the part-time program, EU Flex format or faculty who update courses to stay on the leading edge.
Here’s what sets Elmhurst’s MCIT degree apart from other information technology master’s programs:
- STEM-designated. Learn in a program the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) recognizes for its focus on science, technology, engineering and math — knowledge you need for a high-paying career in technology.
- EU Flex format. Complete your master’s in information technology online, attend in-person courses or choose a combination — whatever fits your schedule and learning style.
- 3 available concentrations. Choose a computer network, application development or data science concentration to develop a specialized IT skillset.
- Expert faculty. Learn from faculty who stay on the leading edge of the latest technologies and know Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and VMware inside and out.
- Your Degree is Always Current. Graduates of the M.S. in Computer Information Technology (MSCIT) have the opportunity to keep their degree current. MSCIT alumni can take one free graduate CSIS course each academic year to maintain their skills.
- MBA Dual Degree Option. Earn your MBA at Elmhurst in only a year after completing your IT master’s degree.
- Cloud access. Access servers remotely from your computer—an important ability for online students.
Why Get Your Master’s in Information Technology?
Even though we are all from different countries and cultures, we are more similar to each other than we might think.”Undral Naran Graduate Student in the MSCIT Program
What Can You Do with a Computer Information Technology Master’s Degree?
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates the job outlook for positions like computer and information systems managers to grow approximately 11%—faster than average—by 2030. That means the demand for information technology master’s degree graduates will only continue to grow.
If you’re considering a career in information technology, there are numerous possibilities in the technology sector and also countless other industries. Elmhurst graduates have worked at companies like United Airlines, RR Donnelley, Americaneagle.com, Motorola and others.
Computer Information Technology Master’s Degree Careers
Computer information technology degrees prepare you for the following careers (and others):
- Computer and information systems manager
- Computer and information systems research scientist
- Computer network architect
- Information security analyst
- Software engineer
- Web developer
What Employers of Elmhurst’s MCIT Grads are Saying
[Our company] uses the Microsoft programming language, ASP.net. Elmhurst is one of the few colleges that trains its students in Microsoft, so they don’t need much training and can hit the ground running. They’ve been an excellent fit. The people we’ve hired also have common sense and a good work ethic … Elmhurst grads have worked on websites for the Chicago Bears, the Chicago Transit Authority and Fannie May Candies.”Ryan McElrath Chief Technology Officer at Americaneagle.com
Explore Computer Information Technology Master’s Degree Courses
Our IT master’s degree program curriculum includes a combination of theory, interpersonal skills, ethics and tech skills. Some of our popular IT master’s degree courses include:
- Cloud Computing. Learn about IaaS using Microsoft Azure and discover how to provision and manage virtual servers like Windows and Linux.
- Virtualization. Learn how to install hypervisors and configure and manage virtual machines using VMware.
- System Integration and Automation. Explore tools and techniques for integrating information systems in organizations and learn PowerShell scripting and project management practices.
- Human-Computer Interaction (UI/UX). Create storyboards, mockups and prototypes for user interfaces and experiences.
Programs Related to the M.S. in Computer Information Technology at Elmhurst University
Interested in degrees similar to the master’s in computer information technology? Check out the programs below or browse all graduate programs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, our master’s degree in CIT is offered in our EU-Flex format. EU-Flex means you can attend classes on campus, online or a combination of both. Moreover, you can switch back and forth from online to on-campus as much as you would like. Alternatively, you can complete the program entirely online.
Yes. We offer several graduate certificate programs in Computer Information Technology that consist of the first five courses of the master’s degree curriculum. You can stop there and earn the certificate, or you can continue with five more classes to complete the full master’s degree.
Yes. You can finish in as little as a year with the program director’s approval.
After you complete your master’s degree in CIT, the MBA Dual Degree Option gives you the opportunity to complete an MBA in just one year instead of the typical two years. This way, you can earn two master’s degrees in just three years.
- International students: Once you are admitted, and if you are on an F-1 visa, you will automatically receive a $5,000 scholarship.
- Domestic students: Your completed application will automatically be reviewed for a $5,000 partial scholarship.
The scholarship is awarded primarily based on your past academic performance and it is issued by the program director.