Elmhurst College recently honored 12 students who received scholarships developed through partnerships between the College and several community-based organizations, or CBOs, in Chicago.
Ten of the students and their families attended the Community-Based Organizations Awards Dinner on Jan. 28. The event was held at the main offices of Chicago Scholars, one of several CBOs in Chicago that partner with Elmhurst College to provide scholarships and other support to high school students from underrepresented population groups who have been admitted to Elmhurst.
The goal of the dinner was to recognize the students, introduce them to one another, and announce that they would all receive Last Dollar Scholarships, which fill the gap between students’ total financial aid and additional, uncovered costs of attending Elmhurst College. The students also learned more about what life would be like as Elmhurst students—in particular, as members of the new United Scholars Living Community, who will have their own residential arrangement on campus.
Constance Mixon, interim vice president of academic affairs and dean of the faculty, talked about her experience as a first-generation college graduate from Chicago and her career path to Elmhurst. She congratulated the students for already having come so far.
“As you continue along your educational journey, there will be bumps along the way—but please know there are resources to help and people who care,” she said. “If we are lucky enough to have you join us at Elmhurst, please know that I am one of those people who care and I will do everything I can to help you succeed.”
Here are the honorees:
Chicago Scholars Platinum Partnership Award Winners
- Noreidy Gomez, Hancock High School
- Violeta Lanza, Benito Juarez Community Academy (BJCA)
- Eddie Frausto, Curie Metropolitan High School
- Kares Pratt, Lake View High School
- Maria Rivera, Intrinsic School
- Roosevelt Curry, Martin Luther King College Prep
Elmhurst-Chicago Works Awards
- Jasmine Alvarez, OneGoal-Chicago/Prosser Career Academy High School
- Decorian Nunn, OneGoal-Chicago/Legal Preparatory Charter Academy
- Alexis Ramirez, BJCA
- Diana Gonzalez, Sarah E. Goode STEM Academy
- Leslie Martin, Phoenix Military Academy
- Dylan Lopez, Intrinsic School