Safety and Security FAQs

Questions about campus safety at Elmhurst University? Here are answers to some of the questions we hear most often.

The Department of Public Safety is located in the lower level of Lehmann Hall. We are open 24 hours a day, every day of the year, and we can be reached at (630) 617-3000.

Yes! The Department of Public Safety hosts a variety of programs throughout the year, ranging from self-defense to alcohol awareness to dealing with difficult people. To inquire about upcoming presentations or request a program, please contact Public Safety at (630) 617-3000 or by email.

Crime and fire logs are available for inspection in the Department of Public Safety. Information from these logs is published and posted throughout campus and on our website.

Our Emergency Broadcast System broadcasts announcements throughout campus through more than 200 speakers. We also alert the broader community of emergencies through:

  • EU Alert, our emergency text/email/phone system
  • The University’s website
  • Campus emails, voicemails and posted alerts on doors
  • Tornado warning sirens, which are maintained and activated by the City of Elmhurst

Log into your EU Alert account with the username and password you created and check to see if the account is expired or not validated. If it’s not validated, validate your account and enter the four-digit code. If it’s expired, change your opt-out date. If you can’t get into your account or are having problems, contact us.

If you’re reporting a crime in progress or another emergency, call Public Safety immediately by dialing ext. 3000 from a campus phone or (630) 617-3000 from a non-campus phone. See Report a Crime or Incident for non-emergency options.

Public Safety is the official Lost and Found for Elmhurst University, so come see us if you’ve lost something.

Bring it to the Department of Public Safety. Or call us and we’ll pick it up from you on campus.

If you are a staff or faculty member, have your department head fill out a Key and Access Card Request Form, available in our office, and we will have the keys or access card prepared for you.

Contact the RA on duty for your residence hall using a campus phone. If you can’t reach your RA, call the Department of Public Safety at ext. 3000. During weekday office hours, you can also visit the Office of Residence Life in West Hall to obtain a temporary key.

Connect with #elmhurstu