We’re committed to keeping you safe in the event of an emergency on campus.
The Department of Public Safety oversees all emergency preparedness and management programs at Elmhurst University. For more information, contact us.
In the event of an emergency, we’ll notify the campus through several channels:
- The Emergency Broadcast System, which broadcasts messages through more than 200 speakers located throughout the campus
- EC Alert, our emergency text, email and phone alert system (sign up for EC Alert)
- The University’s website
- Campus emails
- Voice calls, which are available as an opt-in option on EC Alert
- Posted alerts on doors
- Tornado warning sirens, which are maintained and activated by the City of Elmhurst
We provide, post and distribute a variety of resources to educate the Elmhurst University community on safety and emergency response.
- The Campus Emergency Action Team (CEAT) Is responsible for the general oversight of emergency preparedness on campus, which includes disaster response, mitigation and recovery. This team consists of various members of the Elmhurst University senior leadership team, including the president of the University. The team meets several times annually to review campus safety and security procedures, engage in training exercises, and ensure that the members of the team and the campus are prepared to address any crises that might affect the Elmhurst University operations, campus or community.
- Emergency 101 lessons are sent to the campus community through email during Fall Term, providing basic emergency information for all students, faculty and staff.
- The University has posted and provides copies of the Emergency Response Procedures flipchart, which outlines emergency information and appropriate response. These flipcharts are posted in academic spaces around campus and available from the Department of Public Safety.
- Various security presentations and events are offered throughout the year to provide additional instruction to the campus community.