Jump-Start Your IT Career with a Certificate in Computer Information Systems
Degree Type: Graduate Certificate | Degree Format: 100% Online | Department: Computer Science and Information Systems | Time to Degree: 1.5 Years
In today’s tech-forward world, professionals with technical know-how have no shortage of career opportunities. Improve cybersecurity at your workplace. Design user-friendly interfaces. Compile data to help businesses make crucial decisions.
Whatever your ambition, a graduate certificate in computer information systems from Elmhurst University can be a valuable next step toward your dream career in IT. Whether you’re an experienced professional or just entering the field, a certificate in information systems offers valuable know-how in app development, networking and other areas—without the financial and time commitment of a master’s degree.
Graduate Certificates in Information Technology Highlights
Elmhurst offers two certificates in information systems comprised of a five-course sequence in either application development or network administration.
In both programs, you’ll learn fundamentals in IT and complete coursework in your area of specialization. While you earn your graduate certificate in information technology at Elmhurst, you’ll have the flexibility you need to learn in the style that works best for you.
Here’s what makes Elmhurst stand out among other graduate certificate in information technology programs:
- Flexible format. Complete your graduate certificate in information technology online, in-person or a combination—whatever fits your needs.
- Two market-driven options. Choose an emphasis in two leading areas of IT: application development or network administration.
- Part of a STEM-designated MCIT program. Learn in the same courses as students in our prestigious master’s in IT—and, if you choose to, smoothly transition into the program after earning your graduate certificate in information technology online.
- The foundation for your career in IT. Decide whether information technology is for you, work toward a master’s in IT degree or identify new career options.
- Top-tier faculty. Learn from professors with years of experience in teaching and working in IT. Our faculty continuously update courses according to the newest technologies and practices.
Two Cutting-Edge Certificates in Information Technology
The world of information technology is ever-expanding. At Elmhurst University, we aim to keep our certificates in computer information systems on the leading edge, adapting coursework and emphases to fit the needs of the marketplace—and our students.
We offer two distinctive graduate certificates in information technology online (or in our EU flex format) to help you gain a competitive edge in the job market.
Graduate Certificate in Information Technology: Application Development
In this specialization, you’ll learn how to design, develop and publish mobile applications and program in web-based languages.
- MIT 541 Human-Computer Interaction (UI/UX)
- MIT 510 Database Management and Data Warehousing
- MIT 543 Web Application Development
- MIT 545 Mobile Application Development
- MBA 509 IT Project Management
To complete the master’s degree, students must also complete MIT 550, MIT 561, MIT 562, MIT 567 and MIT 572.
Graduate Certificate in Information Technology: Network Administration
This emphasis offers you an immersion into the theory and skills you need to excel in network administration.
Learn about the architecture, topologies, applications and security of various networks. Practice designing and installing local and wide area networks (LAN/WAN). Discuss the fundamentals of cloud computing. This network administration specialization allows you to gain a deep understanding of these areas and others.
- MIT 561 Computer Network I
- MIT 562 Computer Network II
- MIT 565 Internetworking
- MIT 550 Computer Security and Risk Management
- MIT 567 Cloud Computing
To complete the master’s degree, students must also complete MBA 509, MIT 510, MIT 572, and two other electives.
What Can You Do With a Graduate Certificate in Computer Information Systems?
A certificate in information technology online or via our EU flex format enables you to advance your career in several ways. Armed with both the conceptual knowledge and practical skills you need to excel, you’ll be prepared to enter a new area of IT, advance in your current position or go on to earn your master’s degree.
Information Technology Careers
- Web App Developer
- Mobile App Developer
- App Development Project Manager
- Network Administrator
- Security Administrator
- Windows System Administrator
Is a Certificate in Information Technology Worth It?
Some students wonder whether earning a graduate certificate in information systems is worth it since the certificate isn’t a full master’s degree. The job market for those with IT skills, particularly in application development and network administration, is promising. Certificates in information systems that are adaptive to current market needs and offer practical experience are worthy investments, especially if you’re newly entering IT.
At Elmhurst University, we provide the relevant coursework and the practical experience you need to move forward in your career in five robust, graduate-level courses in app development or network administration. And, if you enroll in the certificate in information systems and decide you’d like to get a full master’s degree, we make it easy to transition into our MCIT program and finish with just a few more courses.
Programs Related to the Graduate Certificate in Information Systems at Elmhurst University
Interested in other graduate programs similar to the certificate in information technology online? Explore these offerings: