Reach Your Life Goals
Follow your heart and reach your dreams.
The Master’s Entry in Nursing Practice (MENP) program at Elmhurst is unlike any other in the Chicago suburbs—designed specifically for students with bachelor’s degrees in other fields who want to transition into nursing. Our students come from many different educational backgrounds but have one thing in common: they’re following their hearts into a career where they know they can make a difference.
Prepare for an advanced degree in nursing (MSN) while developing the skills required to become a registered nurse (RN) and preparing to sit for your Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) certification.
This is What Leadership Means
You’ll gain more than credentials at Elmhurst. You’ll be a leader, trained in the knowledge and skills that improve outcomes: risk assessment and evidence-based practices; care coordination and quality improvement. These experiences are threaded throughout all your coursework. With close personal attention from faculty, you’ll gain new insights and the confidence to take on informed, reflective practice in advanced nursing roles.
You’ll also gain a large network of teachers and fellow graduates who will support you throughout your career and connect you with employers all over the Chicagoland area. You’ll hit the ground running—tested, proven and ready.
Where Your MENP Degree Can Take You
- Research Institutions
- Nursing and residential care facilities
- Private practice
- Hybrid, on-campus and online courses
- Monday through Friday classes
- Evening and weekend clinicals may be required
- Fall start
- Completed in two years
In this intensive program, it is expected that students are not employed during their time of study.
The Right People on Your Side
Elmhurst faculty aren’t just experts in their field—they’re dedicated to expanding your reach, with connections, practica and hands-on clinical experiences.
We make it a point to be very accessible to our students. We want them to feel confident about changing careers.Elizabeth Davis, DNP, CNL, RNC-MNN, Program Director
Energize Your Resume, Optimize Your Career
- RN to MSN Option. Elmhurst also offers a path to the MSN for registered nurses with a bachelor’s degree outside of nursing. This option includes an additional bridge course and other prerequisites.
- MBA Option. Graduates of Elmhurst’s MSN program can apply for the MBA Option, a one-year program that leads to the master of business administration with a specialization in Nursing.
Registered nurses with a bachelor’s degree in nursing should review the Master of Science in Nursing program.
The graduate learning outcomes are those of the Master of Science in Nursing Program:
- Synthesize liberal education and nursing knowledge within a systems framework for advanced nursing roles;
- Utilize critical thinking and decision-making skills for optimal individual and population outcomes in advanced nursing roles;
- Demonstrate professional values and standards in ethical practice with individuals and populations and to advance the profession of nursing;
- Implement evidence-based practice in advanced nursing roles with diverse populations;
- Demonstrate accountability and professional development for informed, reflective practice in advanced nursing roles;
- Analyze the organization, policy and financing of systems and their effect on individuals and populations for optimal outcomes;
- Utilize effective communication, inter- and intra-disciplinary collaborative skills and information technologies in advanced nursing roles; and
- Demonstrate leadership within systems to plan change and promote quality outcomes for individuals and populations.
Academic Standing and Progression Policies
Students in this program are accountable for all standards and policies stated in the Graduate Student Handbook.