Students in the master’s entry in nursing practice program at Elmhurst are required to complete 21 courses for a total of 71 semester hours (17.75 credits).
The first year of study focuses on pre-nursing licensure courses, and during the second year, students transition into the clinical nurse leader role. The program heavily emphasizes the use of collaboration and teamwork across healthcare settings. All students receive iPads at the beginning of the program which will be used to access course materials and supplemental resources.
The master’s entry is one of three entry options to be a clinical nurse leader as described by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing. The course work will enable to the student to achieve the baccalaureate competencies leading to the initial licensure process and the terminal objectives of the master’s degree program with a role concentration so that graduates may sit for Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) certification.
It is expected that students in the program are not currently employed during their time of study.
The following represents a sample course sequence for the master’s entry in nursing practice program.
- NRS 508 Foundations for Professional Nursing Practice
- NRS 520 Advanced Health Assessment
- NRS 525 Advanced Pathophysiology
- NRS 526 Advanced Pharmacology
- NRS 501 Theories in Nursing and Clinical Leadership
- NRS 527 Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- NRS 528 Research and Evidence-Based Practice
- NRS 507 Professional Perspectives in Nursing I
- NRS 509 Adult Health I: Alterations Across the Lifespan
- NRS 510 Adult Health II: Alterations Across the Lifespan
- NRS 513 Family Health Nursing
- NRS 514 Mental Health Nursing
- NRS 538 Management of Clinical Outcomes
- NRS 502 Health Care Systems: Organization, Policy and Finance
- NRS 515 Professional Perspectives in Nursing II
- NRS 511 Adult Health III: Complex Health Alterations Across the Lifespan
- NRS 512 Clinical Prevention and Population Health
- NRS 532 Technology in Health Care Education and Practice
- NRS 531 Leadership in Systems and Organizations
- NRS 530 Professional Perspectives in Nursing III
- NRS 540 Clinical Nurse Leader Residency