Program Goals and Learning Outcomes
- Explain the basic components of visual literacy: create and apply expressive elements and principles of art to produce effective visual compositions and interpret them.
- Use specialized skills and techniques in art making.
- Identify issues of importance of the art historical heritage of Western culture and of non-European traditions.
- Show expertise in a chosen medium of art, its history, masterworks of that medium, and their creators.
- Demonstrate personal forms of expression and professional expertise with a sense of self-identification, personal vision and the creative process.
- Interrelate theoretical, practical and historical areas of the discipline.
- Produce an integrated body of artwork that is cohesive and professionally exhibited.
Additional Learning Outcomes in B.A. K-12 Art Education Certification Program
- Understand and ably apply pedagogical knowledge and skills appropriate to the teaching of the visual arts.
Additional Learning Outcomes in Art Business
- Gain a basic knowledge of the content of the functional areas of business.
- Interpret numerical data and solve problems using quantitative methods.
- Integrate theories, methods and frameworks of the business and economics disciplines to analyze business problems.
Additional Learning Outcomes in Graphic Design
- Graphic Design Principles: Apply aesthetics and formal concepts of layout and design including: spatial relationships, visual communication effectiveness, interrelationships among imagery, text, balance, typography and color theory.
- Communication: Use of visual and verbal communication to present content and meaning effectively, oral and written skills to present concepts to employers, clients, and others; teamwork, collaboration and negotiation skills.
- Concept: Apply design concepts to produce successful visual solutions to assigned problems.
- Technical: Apply skills in industry-specific computer software programs to produce concrete projects.
- Problem Solving: Develop original, professional-level solutions to graphic design problems based on appropriate research and within specified parameters such as deadlines, audience, budget, construction and output considerations.