Major in Public Health
At its core, the study of public health is the search for ways to improve people’s quality of life.
Elmhurst University’s new bachelor of science degree in public health prepares you for careers in health education, health promotion, policy administration and more. Meanwhile, if you want to continue your education in this dynamic field, you’ll also be ready to pursue your master’s in public health.
Learn How to Solve Health Challenges Big and Small
Our program includes research, epidemiology, and concepts of public health and global health. You will learn how to interpret new findings, combat the spread of disease and help people adopt healthy habits.
Most of all, you will learn how to use this knowledge to make meaningful contributions to your community and to society.
Request Info APPLY ONLINE Plan a Visit
Concentration in Public Health Leadership and Innovation
The first of its kind, the Elmhurst Public Health Leadership and Innovation concentration will prepare you to lead public health organizations with fresh approaches to persistent problems. Embedded in a liberal arts university known for innovation, you will learn to craft multidisciplinary solutions to make a difference in the health of your community.
Public Health Major Courses
- PH 100 Introduction to Public Health
- PSY 210 Introduction to Psychological Science
- PH 200 Public Health and the Study of Disease and Epidemics
- PH 250 A Systems Thinking Approach to the Social Determinants of Health
- PH 300 Health, the Environment and Modern Life
ES 310 Environmental Science and Health
- PH 310 Public Health and Global Citizenship
- PH 320 Historical and Contemporary Public Health Challenges
- PH 330 Epidemiology
- MTH 345 Elementary Statistics
PSY 355 Statistics for Scientific Research
- PH 408 Leadership and Innovation in Public Health Seminar
- PH 420 Public Health Policy and Politics
- PH 430 Baccalaureate in Public Health Project
- PH 440 Public Health Fieldwork
- PH 451 Community Health Programming
Required Support Courses
- PSY 210
- MTH 345 or PSY 355
A variety of elective courses are available to meet the needs and interests of public health majors. Public health majors are encouraged to elect courses in other divisions of the University or to complete a second major or minor in a related or complementary field.
Want to know more about this exciting new major? Request information today.