Mission and Learning Outcomes
In an ever more interconnected and global society, the Department of World Languages, Literatures and Cultures at Elmhurst University aims to educate students to become communicatively and culturally competent and to become informed and responsible global citizens with demonstrated proficiency in world languages and cultures. As scholars, we pursue research in language, literature and culture that contributes to a deeper understanding of the human experience throughout the world.
The proficiency-based learning outcomes for the Department of World Languages are based on the ACTFL national standards, often referred to as the five C’s.
- Communication. Students will be able to communicate in languages other than English
- Cultures. Students will gain knowledge and understanding of other cultures
- Connections. Students will connect their learning with other disciplines
- Comparisons. Students will develop insight into the nature of language and culture
- Communities. Students will participate and engage in multi-lingual and multi-cultural communities in the U.S. and around the world