First-Year Student Admission
The following information is for international students who are applying as first-year students to Elmhurst University.
Applying for Undergraduate Programs as a First-Year Student
If you are currently attending or have finished secondary school and have not attended university, please submit:
- An application for admission
- If still in Secondary School: A transcript including all years of secondary schooling (if your transcript is not in English, we also require a certified translation)
- If completed Secondary School: Transcript plus proof of US high school completion equivalency document (if completed high school)
- If applicable, submit any IB, AP, and CLEP scores directly to the Office of Advising
- Proof of English Language Proficiency (see below)
English Proficiency Requirements
Elmhurst University requires international students to meet the following English proficiency requirements:
|ACT||Score of 22 on both the English and Reading subsections|
|SAT||Score of 520 on the Evidence Based Reading and Writing portion|
|TOEFL Computer Based||213|
|TOEFL Paper Based||550|
|IELTS Exam||6.5 Composite|
|Duolingo English Test||100 (110 Effective for Spring 2023 Term)|
- U.S. college English coursework (two semesters): Grade of B or better in a two-course writing/composition sequence equivalent to ENG 105/106 at Elmhurst University.
- Duolingo English Test: 60 (prior to Fall 2021)
- PTE Academic: 54
- Be a citizen of and attend high school in: Antigua & Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada (English speaking provinces), Cayman Islands, Dominica, Fiji, Ghana, Grenada, Guam, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Leeward Islands, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, New Zealand, Nigeria, Solomon Islands, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & the Grenadines, South Africa, The Gambia, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos, Uganda, United Kingdom (including Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland), Vanuatu, and Windward Islands.
- Cambridge English Qualifications (B2 First, C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency): minimum score of 160
- Attend and complete: An American international school abroad with passing grades in English courses through the third year at the time of application review with an anticipated completion of English courses in the fourth year.
- Students who have been admitted to and completed the Elmhurst Collegiate Immersion Program whose video and personal interview determine an adequate level of English proficiency.
- Admission will be considered (but not guaranteed) for students who score below the required English proficiency and request a personal interview, along with the submission of an essay, one sample of graded work, and a written recommendation from the corresponding faculty member.
Fall Admission Schedule
- Apply between September 1 and May 1, or until all spaces are filled
- Collection of Declaration of Finances and Affidavit of Support between March 1 and June 1
- I-20s sent beginning June 1
Spring Admission Schedule
- Apply between August 1 and November 1, or until all spaces are filled
- Collection of Declaration of Finances and Affidavit of Support by October 15
- I-20s sent beginning November 1
Scholarships for F-1 First-Year Students
- $20,000 awarded to any first-year (freshman) student who will study at Elmhurst
- Between $1,000 and $5,000 based on academic merit