Maintaining, Changing and Reinstating Status

​​Maintaining Status

International students who have F-1 visas must follow certain rules in order to maintain their lawful non-immigrant status. Remember, maintenance of your lawful nonimmigrant status is your responsibility, but the International Admission and International Student Services offices are here to help advise you on how to do so.

Changing Status

If you are currently in the United States on a status that does not permit study at the university level, it is advised that you change to F-1 student status. This can be done one of two ways:

  • Departing the U.S. and applying for initial F-1 status abroad, or
  • Filing a request to change your status within the U.S.

If this applies to you, please notify your admission counselor to have a discussion about it.

More information regarding the change of status process and necessary documents to file may be found in the document below.

Change to F-1 Status

Reinstating F-1 Status

Maintaining your status is of the utmost importance to be able to remain in the U.S. and continue your studies. Failure to maintain status may have serious long-term immigration consequences. In some cases, students who fall out of status may be eligible for reinstatement of status, a process by which an application is sent to and adjudicated by the U.S. government requesting that lawful status be resumed. If you think or know your F-1 status has been terminated please notify and discuss with your admission counselor.

More information regarding reinstatement and necessary documents to file may be found in the document below.

Reinstatement to F-1 Status

Connect with #elmhurstu