Graduate Programs for International Students
Our graduate programs are tailored to the demands of the marketplace and international students. This is graduate school on your terms, built around your schedule and priorities—available on campus or online in your home country.
Engage in Practical Experiences
Practical work experience, such as an internship or practicum, is an expectation of all students enrolled in graduate studies. The purpose of the internship/practicum is to help the student become familiar with the applications and practices in the field of study. Students enrolled in graduate programs may be eligible for CPT. As CPT is curricular in nature, students are encouraged to check with their program director and the Office of International Education to verify eligibility.
The following programs satisfy the requirements for F-1 VISAs:
These online programs may be completed from a student’s home country. Elmhurst University does not issue I-20’s for these 100% online programs.
*STEM Designated Program
Applying for Graduate Studies
In addition to the regular application for graduate programs, international students must submit proof of the following requirements:
- A course-by-course evaluation for U.S. equivalency by one of the following companies that maintain membership with NACES for all college or university coursework completed outside of the U.S. Please have official evaluated transcripts (received directly from the evaluation service) sent to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Proof of English language proficiency (below)
English Proficiency Requirements
Elmhurst University requires international students to meet the following English proficiency requirements:
|ACT||Score of 22 on both the English and Reading subsections|
|SAT||Score of 520 on the Evidence Based Reading and Writing portion|
|TOEFL Computer Based||213|
|TOEFL Paper Based||550|
|IELTS Exam||6.5 Composite|
|Duolingo English Test||110|
- U.S. college English coursework (two semesters): Grade of B or better in a two-course writing/composition sequence equivalent to ENG 105/106 at Elmhurst University.
- Duolingo English Test: 60 (prior to Fall 2021)
- PTE Academic: 54
- Be a citizen of and attend high school in: Antigua & Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada (English speaking provinces), Cayman Islands, Dominica, Fiji, Ghana, Grenada, Guam, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Leeward Islands, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, New Zealand, Nigeria, Solomon Islands, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & the Grenadines, South Africa, The Gambia, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos, Uganda, United Kingdom (including Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland), Vanuatu, and Windward Islands.
- Cambridge English Qualifications (B2 First, C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency): minimum score of 160
- Attend and complete: An American international school abroad with passing grades in English courses through the third year at the time of application review with an anticipated completion of English courses in the fourth year.
If offered admission to a graduate program, international students must submit a Declaration of Finances form and the tuition prepayment (deposit) before the Form I-20 will be issued.
Support for International Students
Our dedicated International Student Services staff is here to help. We’ll support you every step of the way, from the admission process to getting a visa and finding a job.
Scholarships for F-1 Graduate Students
- Graduate students who are on an F-1 visa will be granted a total program scholarship of up to $5,000 (USD) upon admission to a graduate degree program. The scholarship is awarded in increments of $1,250 over the first four semesters of the program.