Do you have questions about applying to Elmhurst University as an international student?

Here are answers to some of the questions we hear most often. If you have already submitted all of your application materials or have already been admitted, please visit our international student services website for information about your next steps.

Yes, Elmhurst offers programs leading to bachelor’s and master’s degrees.

Elmhurst University is located in Elmhurst, Illinois, a quiet suburb about 15 miles west of downtown Chicago. Getting to Elmhurst is easy, as we’re in close reach of Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport, Midway International Airport and several major expressways. The Elmhurst campus is a 35-minute train ride away from the unlimited opportunities of downtown Chicago.

Elmhurst combines the intimacy of a small university with the unlimited opportunities of a world-class city just a short train ride away. Students love our small classes and our strong sense of community. Professors here get to know their students as individuals, and provide the support they need to succeed.

Beyond the classroom, Elmhurst offers a wide variety of student clubs and organizations, including the International Club, International Peer Mentor group and Phi Beta Delta Honor Society for international scholars. What’s more, the University prepares students for professional success with access to internships, professional mentoring and other career opportunities.

Elmhurst offers more than 70 majors, including business, education and nursing, along with more than a dozen pre-professional programs for students planning careers in law, medicine and other areas of health care.

No. International students submit the same application as U.S. students. However, international students are required to submit additional documentation. Please see applying as an International Student for more information.

You are required to demonstrate proof of English language proficiency. Some students will take the TOEFL, while other students will meet this requirement with the ACT or SAT.

We highly recommend that you contact your local U.S. Embassy/U.S. Consulate/Office of Public Affairs for referral to an overseas educational advising center near you, or consult the list available at the U.S. Department of State’s Education USA website.

Yes! International students at Elmhurst are eligible for merit-based awards and scholarships ranging between $5,000 and $22,000 per year. And there’s no need to fill out a separate scholarship application—we make award decisions based on your application for admission to the University.

Yes, we accept your course credits from other universities, as long as they meet our criteria. For more information about transfer credits, see Will My Courses Transfer?

If you are transferring from another college or university, please submit the application for admission. Transfer students who have been admitted to Elmhurst must complete and submit the Transfer-in Form for F1 Students. See our International Student Services pages for more information.

Yes. Ask your secondary school to send either the original or a certified copy of your transcript, as well as your leaving/national exam certificates, directly to Elmhurst University. These should be in their original language, accompanied by a certified English translation, and should bear the school’s official stamp or seal. The Secondary School Credentials List included in the International Guide for Undergraduate and Graduate Admissions provides a list of the credentials required as part of your application to Elmhurst. If your country of origin is not listed, or if you have special needs, please visit international student services for more information.

International transfer applicants should also submit official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended. A syllabus for each completed course may also be needed before transfer credits can be awarded.

Yes, many of our international students work on campus or take on an internship in their field of interest. Some students even earn course credit for their internship work.

Yes. International students who maintain F1 status are eligible to apply for on-campus jobs (but not work/study positions). For a more detailed explanation of student employment at Elmhurst University, see our student employment page.

Connect with #elmhurstu