State Authorization

Elmhurst University participates in the National Council of State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA).

Illinois became a SARA state on July 31, 2015, and the University became a SARA institution in 2016.

as of May 31, 2022

  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • District of Columbia
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Puerto Rico
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming

Elmhurst University online courses and programs are available to students in all SARA states. If the programs include internships, field experiences, student teaching, and/or clinical placements, please check with the program director if you reside or plan to be educated in California.

If you are a student in an online program and you have concerns and/or complaints, please contact the program director first.

Elmhurst University is dedicated to providing the best possible student experience throughout your college years. When an issue is brought to our attention, we will intervene in the matter to seek resolution. Most complaints can be resolved utilizing the internal processes available.

Student rights and expectations are described in the 2023-2024 Elmhurst University Student Handbook. The Office of Student Affairs, the Office of the Academic Affairs and the University’s Judicial Hearing Committee investigate the nature of complaints confidentially and impartially in order to achieve equitable settlements, connecting students to the appropriate party for issue resolution.

Programs may have their own student codes of conduct and complaint processes as defined by the academic college. Please check the University catalog.

If the grievance involves an issue linked to a University-wide policy, please review that policy:

Online students residing in a SARA state should attempt to resolve grievances through Elmhurst University’s existing complaint processes. If an issue cannot be resolved internally, the complaint may be brought to the Illinois Board of Higher Education, pursuant to the SARA Complaint Process. For more information regarding the complaint process for students residing in SARA states, please visit the SARA Resources for Students Webpage.

Students may also file a complaint with the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), Elmhurst University’s accrediting agency.

Resources for Military Students, Veterans, and their Dependents

Military Students using TA benefits and Military Dependents using MyCAA may contact the Military OneSource Postsecondary Education Complaint System.

Montgomery or Post 9/11 GI Bill recipients may contact the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Federal financial aid (e.g. Pell Grant) recipients may contact the Department of Education:

Private student loan recipients may contact the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Elmhurst University has been approved to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements.

NC-Sara Approved Institution seal.

Connect with #elmhurstu