Secondary Education Admission Requirements
- Passing the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP)
- For more information including study guides, students may call (800) 239-8107 or (413) 256-2870, or visit the Illinois Licensure Testing System web site
- Instructions for substituting an ACT Plus Writing or SAT score for TAP
- Sophomore status (8.00 credits/32 earned semester hours)
- Attainment of C (2.00) or better in a minimum of .75 credit (three semester hours) of English composition (equivalent to ENG 106 or higher)
- A cumulative grade-point average of 2.75 or above from all institutions of higher education or most recent degree cumulative grade-point average
- A major grade-point average of 3.00 for art, foreign language, history or physical education
- A major grade-point average of 2.75 for biology, English, music education, political science, and theatre arts
- A major grade-point average of 2.50 for chemistry, mathematics and physics
- A completed application with recommendations, a personal statement and copies of current transcripts
- Evidence of an Illinois State Police criminal background fingerprint check
- Information is available in the Education Office, at the Regional Office of Education, or for licensed and non-licensed school personnel from the Illinois State Board of Education’s Guidance Document
- View the Elmhurst College policy
All courses completed to meet licensure requirements, including general education courses, must be completed for a grade of C (2.00) or higher. Education courses completed more than 10 years before admission to the program will not be accepted.
Students who wish to change teacher education programs after they have been admitted must file a request with the director of teacher education admission. Admission is program specific and transfer to a different program may not be possible.