Secondary Education Admission Requirements
Find more information on the Secondary Teacher Education program and learn how to apply.
- Download the Secondary Teacher Education Application Guide
- Complete the Secondary Teacher Education Application for Admission
- In order to utilize the automated fields within the PDF, please save the PDF to your desktop, then open the form in Adobe Reader
- Complete the Secondary Teacher Education Recommendation Form (as part of the application linked in Step 2)
- In order to utilize the automated fields within the PDF, please save the PDF to your desktop, then open the form in Adobe Reader and complete the personal information portion at the top
- Finally, print the form and provide them, with a self-addressed envelope, to one professional educator
- Submit evidence of an Illinois State Police criminal background fingerprint check
- Information is available in the Education Office, at the Regional Office of Education, or for licensed and non-licensed school personnel from the Illinois State Board of Education’s Guidance Document
- View the Elmhurst University policy
All courses completed to meet licensure requirements, including general education courses, must be completed with a grade of C- (1.7) or higher. Education courses completed more than 10 years before admission to the program will not be accepted.
- A major grade-point average of 3.00 for art, foreign language, history or physical education
- A major grade-point average of 2.75 for biology, English, music education, political science, and theatre arts
- A major grade-point average of 2.50 for chemistry, mathematics and physics
Students who wish to change teacher education programs, after they have been admitted, must file a request with the director of teacher education admission. Admission is program-specific, and transfer to a different program may not be possible.