Sherry Smoak, M.S.
Director, D.K. Hardin Center for Market Research; Assistant Professor, Business and Economics
M.S. in Integrated Marketing Communications, Northwestern University’s Medill School of Journalism
B.S. in Business Administration (Marketing and Management), University of South Carolina
Sherry Smoak has extensive experience in both agencies and corporations in the roles of client service, strategic planning and business development.
Since joining Elmhurst College 13 years ago, Professor Smoak has incorporated more than 50 live projects into her marketing and research classes ranging across industries. Some of the clients include: The Brookfield Zoo, Patten Caterpillar, The Morton Arboretum, Easterseals, Red Caffeine, Family Shelter Service, and Wright College to name a few.
Professor Smoak teaches both marketing and marketing research to graduate and undergraduate students.
- BUS 336 Marketing Research
- BUS 230 Principles of Marketing
- BUS 430 Marketing Management
- MMR/MBA 583 Principles of Marketing Insights and Analysis
- MMR/MBA 585 Marketing Strategy and Research Practicum, Part 1
- MMR 590 Advanced Research Practicum
- MBA 503 Marketing Management
- Member, American Marketing Association
- Member, Marketing Research Association
- Board Member, Elmhurst Symphony Orchestra
Concepts and theories are important in the classroom to develop critical thinking skills. I feel I have the most impact when I can marry conceptual aspects to real-world experience. I try to bring my marketing experiences and/or live, client-based projects into the classroom so students get an experiential component in which to ground the theories and concepts discussed in the classroom.
I truly enjoy getting to know my students well and hope I have a positive impact on how they view the world as well as how they interact in the world.