Students planning to minor in music must meet the following requirements:
- Four classroom courses including MUS 135, 136, 343 or 344, plus one additional course;
- Four terms in a performance group, at least two of which are in Elmhurst College performance ensembles; and
- Three terms (six term hours) of applied music credit either in the same applied specialty or split with two terms in one and the third term in another specialty.
One-half of the total courses listed for the minor above must be earned at Elmhurst College.
Minor in Composition
The minor in composition is designed for music majors who wish to pursue studies in the analytical and creative aspects of music while maintaining a primary focus in another music discipline.
The minor in composition for music majors is awarded to students who have met the following requirements:
- Completion of courses and requirements for one of these degrees: B.A. in Music, B.M. in Music Education, B.M. in Jazz Studies, B.M. in Performance, or B.S. or B.M. in Music Business
- Composition minors will also complete the following courses:
- AMC 101-102 Applied Music Composition
- MUS 335 Orchestration and Arranging
- MUS 395 Special Studies in Music Theory
- MUS 492 Independent Study and Research: Capstone Composition Recital (.50 credit)
- AMC 100 Composition Seminar (concurrent with AMC applied lessons)
- One of the following:
- AMC 201 Composition
- AMC 121 Film Scoring
- AMC 141 Songwriting
- AMA 101 Arranging
- AML 101 MIDI/Electronic Composition
Minor in Jazz Studies
The minor in jazz studies is designed for students who wish to pursue a program of study in jazz and commercial music in addition to their primary area of study.
Jazz study minors will also complete the following courses:
- MUS 120 Jazz Fundamentals I
- MUS 121 Jazz Fundamentals II
- MUS 430 Jazz Improvisation I
- One credit from the following:
- MUS 318 The Making of Jazz
- MUS 223 Jazz Keyboard Fundamentals
- MUS 325 Rhythm Section Fundamentals
- MUS 350 Jazz Arranging
- AMJ 101-102 Jazz Improvisation
- Large Jazz Ensemble
- Jazz Combo
Minor in Music Production
For students interested in a concentration in music production that prepares students for careers in media music, audio engineering, live mixing, record producing and more.
- MUS 290 Digital Music I
- MUS 291 Digital Music II
- MUS 332 Production of Sound Recordings
- MUS 333 Audio Engineering
Minor in Music for Education Majors
Contact the Director of Music Education for specific requirements.
Minor in Religious Studies and Church Music for Music Majors
The Department of Music and Department of Religious Studies offer a linked program of study for students who want to serve the church through music.
The curriculum provides a breadth of study in music and religious studies, as well as a foundation in one of the areas of the College’s applied music program that assures a sustainable level of musical expertise. Individuals interested in pursuing this minor should make their intentions known in writing to the chairs of the music and religious studies departments.
The minor is awarded to students who have met the following requirements:
- Completion of the courses and requirements for the B.A. in Music
- Completion of the following courses:
- REL 200 Biblical Studies and Contemporary Issues
- REL 320 The Emergence of Christian Thought
- REL 321 Modern and Contemporary Christian Thought
- MUS 215 Music in the Christian Church
- MUS 369 Conducting I (Half course)
- MUS 492 Independent Study and Research: Church Music Field Work
Additional course work in theology, conducting and orchestration is encouraged.